News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

First build of 2018 complete - a headphone amp

Started by Freppo, January 04, 2018, 02:22:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Freppo

Here's my newest build. :)

It's a four channel "high end" headphone amp for the studio.
Built from scratch, so it was a very time consuming.

I got sick of my very noisy and bad sounding Behringer headphone amp.. :P
This one is based on the headphone amp inside my Soundtracs mixer, but I added a few improvements.

This one can be configured as four separate mono inputs, or two sets of stereo inputs.
Wanted it this way so I can do headphone mixes with my Soundtracs mixer which has four aux outputs.
So four people can all have their own mono mix, or two different stereo mixes when recording vocals ect.

I built the PSU on veroboard. It's adjustable and puts out +/- 17v for the amps.
It's doesn't have any fuses, but there's a couple of "saftey resistors" that will burn if it draws too much current.
At first powerup one of the resistors started to smoke... Works fine now after I changed it and the LM317 voltage regulator.
Building PSU's that runs on mains voltage is always a bit scary. :P

Fun build. I really enjoyed building this one and it works great, plays loud and clear.

Now onto pedal stuff again!... :)

culturejam

I saw "headphone amp" and thought it was be some dinky little 9v thing. Then I saw "Freppo" and I knew it would be something complex and epic. I am not disappointed.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

Timko

This is the coolest thing I've seen in a while.  That board design is a work of art.

alanp

That's one hell of a headphone amp!

What are the SMD opamps?
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

Freppo

jimilee

Daaaammmn fine work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

287m

amazing as always Freppo

2 month ago i build velleman headphone amp and EPE 2009-4 mini mixer for my sister neighbour
i was in heaven when she smile, and a day later my sister sent photo with her play guitar and the child sleeping near her
finally she can play guitar without wake the child

i cant imagine if i build this, what i get. 7th heaven maybe? ;D
and im feel inferior when see this thread

Rockhorst

Does 'built from scratch' also mean designed from scratch? It looks very much like an awesome thing and I'd love to know some details of the specs or the design proces? Great work, in any case.