News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Capacitor V values

Started by scotheath, January 03, 2018, 05:14:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scotheath

Sorry I'm sure this has been asked a 100 times.
If a build sheet asks for a 10uf Electrolytic Cap 16v min can I use a 100v or even a 250v instead?
I know caps hold or store energy and would the larger volt rated caps affect the pedal sound ?

somnif

Quote from: scotheath on January 03, 2018, 05:14:34 PM
If a build sheet asks for a 10uf Electrolytic Cap 16v min can I use a 100v or even a 250v instead?
I know caps hold or store energy and would the larger volt rated caps affect the pedal sound ?

You can use larger voltage value caps without issues in function, HOWEVER, they do tend to be physically larger. Always check to make sure the size will fit the footprint on the board.

And honestly, they tend to cost more, so unless you have a bunch on hand there isn't much reason to spend the extra money. 25v or 35v, sure, not a big deal there, we're talking a penny more maybe, but 100 and 250v tend to start getting a bit big and pricey.

scotheath

Thanks for the quick response

blearyeyes

Quote from: scotheath on January 03, 2018, 05:14:34 PM
That rating is for how much voltage the cap can handle. So if you are high enough for the circuit you're good to go....