News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

If you haven't been to BLMS for a while...

Started by Leevibe, January 04, 2018, 06:17:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aleph Null

Quote from: Leevibe on January 04, 2018, 06:54:19 PM
Quote from: Zigcat on January 04, 2018, 06:51:59 PM
I agree. He is a great guy and BLMS has amazingly high-quality and quick service. When did he move to Portland!? My last shipment got to me in a day or so. I was amazed!

I think it's pretty recent. It's right across the river from me. Are you in the PNW?

I'm also in Portland (Tualatin). Do you think he does pick-up orders?

Leevibe

Quote from: Aleph Null on January 09, 2018, 02:41:17 PM
Quote from: Leevibe on January 04, 2018, 06:54:19 PM
Quote from: Zigcat on January 04, 2018, 06:51:59 PM
I agree. He is a great guy and BLMS has amazingly high-quality and quick service. When did he move to Portland!? My last shipment got to me in a day or so. I was amazed!

I think it's pretty recent. It's right across the river from me. Are you in the PNW?

I'm also in Portland (Tualatin). Do you think he does pick-up orders?

Dang. There's a lot of us out here. Tualatin/Tigard is where PGS used to be before they opened the shop in the Pearl. Poor PGS.

I don't know if he does will-call but I'd be kind of surprised if he was set up for it. It would be fun to meet him though. Next time I put in an order I'll ask.

Aleph Null

Quote from: Leevibe on January 09, 2018, 02:46:32 PM
Dang. There's a lot of us out here. Tualatin/Tigard is where PGS used to be before they opened the shop in the Pearl. Poor PGS.

I don't know if he does will-call but I'd be kind of surprised if he was set up for it. It would be fun to meet him though. Next time I put in an order I'll ask.

Pedals, coffee, beer, and waterfalls!

Couldn't hurt to ask. It might actually be worth it for him, depending on his arrangement with UPS/USPS.

JakeFuzz

Quote from: Leevibe on January 04, 2018, 07:00:00 PM
Quote from: Zigcat on January 04, 2018, 06:57:33 PM
Beaverton. So, I just tell everyone I live in Portland ;D

I'm in Washougal. Let's hang out some time. If you haven't checked it out yet, Stomptown turned me on to a place called Surplus Gizmos out on Cornelius Pass Rd. It's hit and miss in terms of finding useful stuff but sometimes you can score some pretty cool stuff.

Woah that's crazy. I live right down the street from surplus gizmos. Just moved to Hillsboro about 1.5 years ago for work. That place is super fun. I go there all the time for random bits. They have some really wild stuff out front sometimes.

Leevibe

davent

Quote from: Zigcat on January 04, 2018, 06:34:17 PM
Now if only he would change the name of his business to something more inviting to women builders.

His email notifications have been coming through as "Lawrence Love My Switches" for a while now.

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

Zigcat

Quote from: JakeFuzz on January 09, 2018, 03:14:48 PM

Woah that's crazy. I live right down the street from surplus gizmos. Just moved to Hillsboro about 1.5 years ago for work. That place is super fun. I go there all the time for random bits. They have some really wild stuff out front sometimes.

Thats crazy. Im just off 170th and Baseline. Small world. Or forum...

Stomptown

Stomptown

Quote from: Zigcat on January 09, 2018, 09:07:29 PM
Quote from: JakeFuzz on January 09, 2018, 03:14:48 PM

Thats crazy. Im just off 170th and Baseline. Small world. Or forum...

I was working out in the field all last week off 185th and all I could think about was making a trip to SG. Unfortunately it didn't work out though...

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: davent on January 09, 2018, 06:10:56 PM
Now if only he would change the name of his business to something more inviting to women builders.

His email notifications have been coming through as "Lawrence Love My Switches" for a while now.

dave

I believe he dropped the B-word from his site name. Too many people complaining that he was being blocked due to language.

Muadzin

I highly doubt that that is the one thing that keeps women away from building pedals. Maybe we should accept its just not a hobby that appeals to most women? Just like there are things that women do that don't appeal to most men? I like to go to zumba class because its a fun way to exercise. You know how many other men there are? Usually none.

Zigcat

Quote from: Muadzin on January 11, 2018, 05:54:11 AM

I highly doubt that that is the one thing that keeps women away from building pedals. Maybe we should accept its just not a hobby that appeals to most women? Just like there are things that women do that don't appeal to most men? I like to go to zumba class because its a fun way to exercise. You know how many other men there are? Usually none.

No, I won't accept that. Ever. There is even a term for your statement. Sexist...

reddesert

Even if both music and electrical work have been more male-dominated in the past, there's no need to put up more barriers or make people feel unwelcome. For example, juvenile behavior on music forums is common yet offputting and unnecessary. (I'm not calling out anyone here. Actually this forum and talkbass seem to be two of the most civilized places in this area.)

slacker775

It's probably hard to remember, but the original computers were often women.  Slides rules and the whole shebang.  I would guess that once it became a more respected/critical/high-paying field, the men took the positions and now it's fairly male dominated though that has been changing in recent years.

matmosphere

Quote from: Zigcat on January 11, 2018, 03:27:56 PM
Quote from: Muadzin on January 11, 2018, 05:54:11 AM

No, I won't accept that. Ever. There is even a term for your statement. Sexist...

I'm with Zagcat here.

I don't care who you are, where you're from or what chromosomes you've got if you're interested I guitar or pedals I say go for it. The more builders we have contributing to the community one way or another the better.

And I gotta say, Lawrence I love ya and you're shop is one of the absolute best but, I'd love putting that sticker you sent on my car but I just can't do it. If there's a funny story about the name that's cool, but at the end of the day somebody who is looking at my bumper doesn't know that story, but they can still pass judgement.