News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

If you haven't been to BLMS for a while...

Started by Leevibe, January 04, 2018, 06:17:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alanp

I'm not coming down on one side of the argument or the other, here.

The only way to win is not to play.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

culturejam

I had some good stuff typed up, but...

Quote from: alanp on January 11, 2018, 11:58:32 PM
I'm not coming down on one side of the argument or the other, here.

The only way to win is not to play.

^^ This.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

gordo

Agreed.  I giggle everytime I see my BLMS shirt because I understand it's intention but I also choose where and in front of whom I wear it.  I'm not sexist at all but because of that I'm very sensitive to the message it could convey.

I DO think we're way too PC these days, but if that's what it takes to make changes...so be it.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

midwayfair

Low participation rates by a gender usually indicate a subtle or overt culture of exclusion. There is no human endeavor that is well served by excluding those who can lend their talents and personal experience simply because of who they are, and therefore we (in general, not just here) should always be making sure that we don't encourage, enable, or accept a exclusionary practices.

culturejam

Quote from: midwayfair on January 12, 2018, 10:39:07 AM
Low participation rates by a gender usually indicate a subtle or overt culture of exclusion.

This is basically what I had planned to post earlier today. Women generally don't build pedals because we have a culture and  history that discourages them from engaging in that sort of activity, either professionally or as a hobby. It's not because somebody has "Bitches" in the name of their company. That's a symptom, not a cause.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

pickdropper

Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

drezdn

On the plus side, it adds some sweet mojo to any enevelope filter.

gordo

Kind of a drag this got removed as it opened up a bit of discussion but with respect to CA I understand.  This is where it all started for me so a bit of reverence for ground zero.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

atreidesheir

Quote from: culturejam on January 12, 2018, 01:01:47 PM
Quote from: midwayfair on January 12, 2018, 10:39:07 AM
Low participation rates by a gender usually indicate a subtle or overt culture of exclusion.

This is basically what I had planned to post earlier today. Women generally don't build pedals because we have a culture and  history that discourages them from engaging in that sort of activity, either professionally or as a hobby. It's not because somebody has "Bitches" in the name of their company. That's a symptom, not a cause.
Next time you are prepared to put an icepick through your temple because you are watching a Hallmark Channel movie with your mate, remember, society made you feel that way.
Technically we are all half-centaur. - Nick Offerman

madbean

Leevibe

madbean

somnif

Quote from: atreidesheir on January 15, 2018, 05:37:59 PM
Next time you are prepared to put an icepick through your temple because you are watching a Hallmark Channel movie with your mate, remember, society made you feel that way.

No, its usually the plot, direction, writing, and acting that takes care of that. I have no problem with cheesey detective stories, even the occasional rom-com, but Hallmark channel movies are just BAD.

Like, yes, lets have Melissa Joan Hart Kidnap Mario Lopez and play if for romantic comedy. Yep. Man held against his will and forced to play a role, and its played as cute. Yep.   :-X (I may have been forced to watch a few too many of this channels xmas trash heap over the holidays at my Parents place)