News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

If you haven't been to BLMS for a while...

Started by Leevibe, January 04, 2018, 06:17:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Muadzin

Quote from: Zigcat on January 11, 2018, 03:27:56 PMNo, I won't accept that. Ever. There is even a term for your statement. Sexist...

I'm going to take the high road here and refrain from any name calling, as I like to keep this board a civil place. Now, you assume there is a problem and therefore demand a fix. Why not actually prove first that there actually is a problem, and then we can talk. Without calling people sexist. Not that I care one fig what some guy on the internet thinks about me, but you will find in life that you're not making yourself likable with people if you call them names. Nor get much cooperation from them.

Zigcat

Quote from: Muadzin on January 16, 2018, 01:50:28 AM
Quote from: Zigcat on January 11, 2018, 03:27:56 PMNo, I won't accept that. Ever. There is even a term for your statement. Sexist...

I'm going to take the high road here and refrain from any name calling, as I like to keep this board a civil place. Now, you assume there is a problem and therefore demand a fix. Why not actually prove first that there actually is a problem, and then we can talk. Without calling people sexist. Not that I care one fig what some guy on the internet thinks about me, but you will find in life that you're not making yourself likable with people if you call them names. Nor get much cooperation from them.

Lame. Go ahead a take the high road. But the argument is the same if you were defending a company called "n#$#ers love my switches" and you said that black people don't build pedals. If I am losing support from people who are ignorant to understanding the impact of these things, so be it.

EBK

"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

LaceSensor

I always refer to my old friend George Carlin at times like these, which seems to be every other freaking day since early 2017. Or 1990, if you consider when this quote originated.

George Carlin: When it comes to changing the language, I think they make some good points. Because we do think in language. And so the quality of our thoughts and ideas can only be as good as the quality of our language. So maybe some of this patriarchal shit ought to go away. I think "spokesman" ought to be "spokesperson." I think "chairman" ought to be "chairperson." I think "mankind" ought to be "humankind." But they take it too far, they take themselves too seriously, they exaggerate. They want me to call that thing in the street a "personhole cover." I think that's taking it a little bit too far!

What would you call a ladies' man, a "person's person"? That would make a he-man an "it-person." Little kids would be afraid of the "boogie-person." They'd look up in the sky and see the "person in the moon." Guys would say "come back here and fight like a person," and we'd all sing "For It's a Jolly Good Person," that's the kind of thing you would hear on "Late Night with David Letterperson"! You know what I mean?

LaceSensor

cajone5

madbean

Quote from: Zigcat on January 16, 2018, 02:42:12 AM
Quote from: Muadzin on January 16, 2018, 01:50:28 AM

Lame. Go ahead a take the high road. But the argument is the same if you were defending a company called "n#$#ers love my switches" and you said that black people don't build pedals. If I am losing support from people who are ignorant to understanding the impact of these things, so be it.

I don't think any reasonable person would defend a racial slur used like that. "Bitches" is more colloquial...or at least I think that was the intent here. IOW, men use that word to degrade and humiliate their male friends because we are dumb and that's how we show affection. I'm not defending it because it certainly could be viewed as exclusionary and is easily misconstrued. And we don't need barriers to women participating in traditionally male-dominated hobbies.

Anyway, let's all refrain from any name calling or attaching labels to one another. Saying something is sexist and supporting that assertion is fine but calling someone sexist is getting out of bounds (I'm not even sure it went that far but just making sure we keep it civil here).

atreidesheir

Quote from: somnif on January 15, 2018, 05:53:50 PM
Quote from: atreidesheir on January 15, 2018, 05:37:59 PM
Next time you are prepared to put an icepick through your temple because you are watching a Hallmark Channel movie with your mate, remember, society made you feel that way.

No, its usually the plot, direction, writing, and acting that takes care of that. I have no problem with cheesey detective stories, even the occasional rom-com, but Hallmark channel movies are just BAD.

Like, yes, lets have Melissa Joan Hart Kidnap Mario Lopez and play if for romantic comedy. Yep. Man held against his will and forced to play a role, and its played as cute. Yep.   :-X (I may have been forced to watch a few too many of this channels xmas trash heap over the holidays at my Parents place)
Technically we are all half-centaur. - Nick Offerman

Leevibe

Sorry to derail this thread, but...

Short lever 3PDTs from a quality manufacturer. Pretty cool. Thank you Lawrence.  8)

Zigcat

Okay, one last thing and I'll be done, since my viewpoint is being overlooked.

Bitches may as well be a racial slur. You can say it isn't the same at all, but I don't feel that way, especially when it is in the name of a business and the only people arguing this is men. You might have comedians use the word, or there was a meme in the early 2000s, but that doesn't change the power of the word or what it means to women. It is exactly the same as a racial slur. I have known many abused women, and the impact of being called a bitch is huge and demeaning. Even if Dolores Claybourne said it or if your wife thinks it's fine, that does not make it universally acceptable. How the word affects and represents women as a whole is important. Is it positive? If you look deep, no, it isn't.

Now, my original comment was to say I didn't approve of the name. I didn't suggest we boycott BLMS or riot down the streets in protest. And yet, a bunch of men were quick to defend something that can only be defended with a "well, that's not it means" excuse. Or people were terrified to get involved because, even though they might not like the term, it doesn't affect them personally, so they don't want ruffle any feathers.

That adorable, little girl some member posted a video of over December. She was an aspiring musician and her dad made her a fuzz pedal to use with her 3 string guitar. How is "bitches love my switches" going to have an impact on her views if she gained a greater interest in building pedals some day? Just tell her things are too PC these days and she should just ignore it, or tell her it's fine to use that word? The impact is a lot larger than people realize.

Done... Hate me... Don't agree... But just know, you will encounter my stance again and again from many people.

Leevibe

Quote from: Zigcat on January 16, 2018, 03:22:44 PM

Bitches may as well be a racial slur. You can say it isn't the same at all, but I don't feel that way, especially when it is in the name of a business and the only people arguing this is men. You might have comedians use the word, or there was a meme in the early 2000s, but that doesn't change the power of the word or what it means to women. It is exactly the same as a racial slur. I have known many abused women, and the impact of being called a bitch is huge and demeaning. Even if Dolores Claybourne said it or if your wife thinks it's fine, that does not make it universally acceptable. How the word affects and represents women as a whole is important. Is it positive? If you look deep, no, it isn't.

Now, my original comment was to say I didn't approve of the name. I didn't suggest we boycott BLMS or riot down the streets in protest. And yet, a bunch of men were quick to defend something that can only be defended with a "well, that's not it means" excuse. Or people were terrified to get involved because, even though they might not like the term, it doesn't affect them personally, so they don't want ruffle any feathers.

That adorable, little girl some member posted a video of over December. She was an aspiring musician and her dad made her a fuzz pedal to use with her 3 string guitar. How is "bitches love my switches" going to have an impact on her views if she gained a greater interest in building pedals some day? Just tell her things are too PC these days and she should just ignore it, or tell her it's fine to use that word? The impact is a lot larger than people realize.

Done... Hate me... Don't agree... But just know, you will encounter my stance again and again from many people.

Andrew, I think your point is actually very well stated. Thanks for finding a way to express your conviction that shows intelligence and respect.

I certainly don't want anyone to think I defend the name. I defend the guy a bit just because of the way he has come across to me in email communication and when he has weighed in on MB. I predict that he will eventually change the name. I don't think it helps his business one iota. He has great service and pricing, and he is beginning to carry some pretty respectable quality. That's really all he needs.

madbean

I'll echo Leevibe in that you make a good point and while I personally may not feel as strongly about it in this particular case I do think it's very important to be cognizant of the language we use and how it impacts others. I'm sure Lawrence has realized this to some degree and ultimately it's in his own best interest to take that into consideration. That said, I'm going to have to consider re-naming my upcoming "Shitface McFuckPedal" project  ;D

peAk

matmosphere

I'll say it again. Im with Zagcat on this. Words mean different things to different people and we should all be aware that what might sound like a well intentioned joke to some could be terribly offensive to others. 

The other thing that gets lost in this is that while the civil rights movement in many ways is still going on so is the women's rights movement.  we've spent decades learning to be more racially sensitive as a nation, while sexism thrived and still thrives in our culture.

I will also say that I'm sure it was in no way Lawrence's intention to be offensive or alienate anyone.

pickdropper

I appreciate that you took the time to eloquently explain why it bothers you.

I don't know Lawrence, and I've not ordered from him yet.  While I don't think he meant any harm with the name, I always found it a bit juvenile and that put me off a bit.  Since I could get the parts I needed elsewhere, I did.

I'll never quite understand why one would choose a name for their business that alienates a portion of their potential clientele.  He comes across as a really nice guy with a bit of a silly sense of humor, so I give him the benefit of the doubt a bit, but I suspect he has lost some business (I have no idea how much) due to the name.  Putting aside whether or not is *should* be offensive, it's just somewhat impractical from a business sense.

It does look like he is transitioning to "Love My Switches" which is smart, IMHO.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper