News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

NWD

Started by Rockhorst, January 05, 2018, 06:34:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pickdropper

That's a great space.  Well laid out.  Should be easy to get things done there.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

Rockhorst

Quote from: pickdropper on January 05, 2018, 03:33:49 PM
That's a great space.  Well laid out.  Should be easy to get things done there.
Well, let's just say that the room shouldn't stand in the way of that, indeed. Other stuff though ;)

Leevibe

I feel like I need to clean up my workbench.

...and buy like a million enclosures

alanp

Quote from: Rockhorst on January 05, 2018, 08:11:03 AM
As far as lead goes: the consensus is that it's so heavy that it immediately falls down. There's no real risk of inhaling any vaporized lead particles. (strictly/technically speaking we should be talking about it's vapor pressure: there's no real chance of gaseous lead atoms escaping from the liquid when soldering). There have been quite extensive studies, measuring lead content in the blood of professional solderers. Virtually none was found I believe. Don't eat and drink at your work space and wash your hands afterwards and you should be fine. Wisdom handed down from RG Keen years ago (credit where credit is due).

The flux is what you should be really worried about. It's nearly always organic (rosin), and when it burns (like, say, when you're soldering things with it), it releases all kindsa crap into the air as smoke.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

alanp

Quote from: Rockhorst on January 05, 2018, 06:34:58 AM
There's a baby boy coming sometime in the middle of March, so we had to rethink the rooms in our house a bit.

Ha! You distracted us all very nicely with the diygeek stuff, but I noticed eventually!

Hope all goes well :)
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

Rockhorst

Quote from: Leevibe on January 05, 2018, 04:48:49 PM

It's a hundred enclosures...I took advantage of the big PPP sale earlier 2017 when they were clearing out everything from the shelves...Still sort a feel it in my bank account, but I think I've got enclosures for life haha.

Quote from: alanp on January 05, 2018, 11:33:51 PM
Ha! You distracted us all very nicely with the diygeek stuff, but I noticed eventually!

Well spotted Alan. So far, it's going relatively easy I think (and my girl friend confirms). We've seen/heard horror stories about the last bits of pregnancy (my sister hasn't been able to walk properly for months now, she's ready to pop, can't sleep etc.). Nothing too extreme here. So let's hope she keeps this up for 9 more weeks and everything goes smoothly.

pickdropper

Quote from: Rockhorst on January 06, 2018, 03:42:58 AM
Quote from: Leevibe on January 05, 2018, 04:48:49 PM

It's a hundred enclosures...I took advantage of the big PPP sale earlier 2017 when they were clearing out everything from the shelves...Still sort a feel it in my bank account, but I think I've got enclosures for life haha.

Quote from: alanp on January 05, 2018, 11:33:51 PM

Well spotted Alan. So far, it's going relatively easy I think (and my girl friend confirms). We've seen/heard horror stories about the last bits of pregnancy (my sister hasn't been able to walk properly for months now, she's ready to pop, can't sleep etc.). Nothing too extreme here. So let's hope she keeps this up for 9 more weeks and everything goes smoothly.

For reasons that I can't fully explain, folks that have had kids love to share every horror story of childbirth with first time parents.  It must be some sort of hazing/rite of passage.  I've seen it do a good job of terrifying people.

Sure, things can go wrong, but there's no need to assume they will.  Congrats to you and your girlfriend.  I hope that everything goes smooth and that you remember the process as a magical time in your lives.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

Leevibe

Quote from: pickdropper on January 06, 2018, 06:13:32 AM
For reasons that I can't fully explain, folks that have had kids love to share every horror story of childbirth with first time parents.  It must be some sort of hazing/rite of passage.  I've seen it do a good job of terrifying people.

Sure, things can go wrong, but there's no need to assume they will.  Congrats to you and your girlfriend.  I hope that everything goes smooth and that you remember the process as a magical time in your lives.

Well said. I've given this advice to lots of my friends. Childbirthing stories are like war stories or fish stories. My wife's last pregnancy turned out to be twins. We knew several people who had had twins and they were talking like it was going to be armageddon. We were braced for the worst. As it turned out, it was a lot of work but to us it wasn't anything like what we had heard about. I later realized that for those people their twins were their first pregnancy. By the time we had ours we had some experience under our belt. I think of the week or two after our twins were born as the very best time of my life. I was off work caring for our other two being mister mom and just enjoying life. It was perfect.

gül

Quote from: Rockhorst on January 05, 2018, 08:11:03 AM
Quote from: Loe on January 05, 2018, 07:55:13 AM
Do you guys use a de-fumer or just hella fans (like me)? I thought about buying a de-fumer, but reviews seem to be mixed about how effective they are.

I've been using a Toolcraft defumer like you see in the last picture (it's not a lamp). I previously had a unit standing on the table top and I think this new one with the swinging arm is going to be a nice upgrade. IMO, it definitely helps. I haven't got asthma or anything, but I always noticed sore throat and coughing after soldering without any kind of active ventilation in the past. There's acidic stuff from the resin core in the fumes that can really affect your breathing. I used to use a bathroom fan with a hose attached transporting fumes out of the window years ago. Both options seem to work and keep things manageable. No sore throats or coughing since.

As far as lead goes: the consensus is that it's so heavy that it immediately falls down. There's no real risk of inhaling any vaporized lead particles. (strictly/technically speaking we should be talking about it's vapor pressure: there's no real chance of gaseous lead atoms escaping from the liquid when soldering). There have been quite extensive studies, measuring lead content in the blood of professional solderers. Virtually none was found I believe. Don't eat and drink at your work space and wash your hands afterwards and you should be fine. Wisdom handed down from RG Keen years ago (credit where credit is due).

Cool, thanks for that helpful info!

jubal81

You've no idea how jealous I am. That's brilliant.

"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair