News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Nu Screamer

Started by drog_trog, January 06, 2018, 04:14:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

somnif

Fecking hell, more than 300$ for a tubescreamer. That won't even behave or sound like an actual tubescreamer.

I love the little neon tubes, and they have their uses, but this just screams gimmick to me.

matmosphere

I've read a lot of very positive things about those little Vox amps that use the new tube stuff.

This strikes me as being a little gimmicky but that doesn't mean it won't sound good.

Scruffie

20 years old but still applicable
Works at Lectric-FX

somnif

Quote from: Matmosphere on January 06, 2018, 05:35:45 PM
I've read a lot of very positive things about those little Vox amps that use the new tube stuff.

This strikes me as being a little gimmicky but that doesn't mean it won't sound good.

Yeah I've been contemplating getting one of the Vox's myself. I just need to find one honest review of its headphone sound. The through-cab sound is just fine, particularly for the price.

But the TS has a characteristic sound associated with the name. Swapping out an opamp may potentially make things better, but in either case it will no longer sound like a TS. If they HAD gone and named it the "NuScreamer" I would get it, but this just seems like capitalizing on the people who assume a TS actually has a tube in it.

And again, at current exchange rates its 325$ US. Thats just silly.

mremic01

*Sigh...*

This pedal says so much about how gimmicky pedals need to get to draw attention to themselves, whatwith how saturated the pedal market has gotten.

I kind of want one because it looks cool, and the idea is cool. But would it sound any better, or different? Probably not. The old TS is fine and always has been.

jimilee

That sounds really good, that's a lot of money for a non gigging musician though.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

gordo

PedalPCB came out with this before I saw an Ibanez. I really don't think its gimmicky. I have one of the vox heads and if it had more low end umphh (common with class d amps) it would give my L5 a good run. That might be a stupid comparison but the lab is the best mix of clean and cranked I've found regardless of technology. The vox would easily do in a pinch. So I'm assuming most of the credibility is coming from the nu-tube.  This is new territory for all of us but I wouldn't be too quick to judge. There's a shit ton of money tied up in r&d so you can't believe all the hype...but...this is too cool to write off.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

matmosphere

Don't think the idea is gimmicky, just calling it a tubescreamer.

I like the idea of infusing some new technology into the gear world. So much of what we have is 50-75 years old. The tubescreamer and memory Man both came out befor the apple ii.

Also a little surprised that it's supposed to cost 100$ more than those Vox amps.

Rockhorst

Quote from: gordo on January 06, 2018, 07:25:12 PM
PedalPCB came out with this before I saw an Ibanez.

Hadn't spotted that one yet! Was actually looking into the technology and datasheets. You can order those nutubes for about $50. A bit steep, but doable for some experimenting.

Quote from: drog_trog on January 06, 2018, 04:14:52 PM
https://www.gearnews.com/ibanez-nutube-screamer-released-namm-show/

That video on the bottom of the gearnews article was made by Remy, local Ibanez endorsee and one of my former guitar teachers :) Real nice guy and a great guitarist. He got the scoop on this, first to post anything about this. It's silly how much his video has been copied since.

Rockhorst

Quote from: drog_trog on January 07, 2018, 07:00:37 AM
These are them aren't they £26

https://uk.rs-online.com/mobile/p/double-triode-valves/1449016/

Yeah, 26 pounds which converts to $35, add some shipping and you're close to the $50 ball park that I mentioned.

gordo

Quote from: Matmosphere on January 07, 2018, 05:57:05 AM
Don't think the idea is gimmicky, just calling it a tubescreamer.

Also a little surprised that it's supposed to cost 100$ more than those Vox amps.

Agreed.  I think the price is the gimmick. I seem to recall cost on the nu-tube being $40-ish.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

Muadzin

Quote from: jimilee on January 06, 2018, 06:53:45 PM
That sounds really good, that's a lot of money for a non gigging musician though.

Aren't those usually the ones who can actually afford these? As they got real paying jobs  ;)