Author Topic: ABDX-PIF build  (Read 352 times)

EBK

• Electron Doctor
  • Eric K.
    • View Profile
ABDX-PIF build
« on: January 07, 2018, 10:20:25 AM »
If you kind and extremely patient folks will indulge me again, I find it very self-motivating to report on what I build while I'm still building it.   :)

I recently received an Aquaboy Deluxe board as a generous PIF from Brian.  I'm having a lot of fun putting this thing together.

Here's what I have so far, the completed main board and a 15V charge pump board:

I've opted to use Xvive Audio MN3005 reproductions for the BBDs, a MN3101 clock, and an NE570 compander.

For the enclosure, I can't bring myself to mount the input and output jacks on opposite sides of a 1590BB (just a personal quirk, not a negative judgment), so instead, I'm working on a landscape orientation with offboard pots (even though it will pretty much take up the exact same width on a pedalboard).  Here's a rough idea of what I have come up with so far (I love Inkscape):

No affiliations. If I glowingly mention specific merchants or products, it is because I like them without having to be paid to like them.

chordball

• Solder Ninja
    • View Profile
Re: ABDX-PIF build
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2018, 10:44:57 AM »
Looking good! I dig that layout a lot. Any reason for an smd NE570 other than that it's probably what you already had?

Also, what vactrol is that? It's the same one that's used in the new micro-tron. I've been curious what it was but could never find it anywhere.

EBK

• Electron Doctor
  • Eric K.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2018, 11:05:10 AM »
Thanks!

Through-hole NE570s are no longer in production, so the SMD version is far easier to procure, and I need to keep sharpening my SMD skills to be ready for the future.  ;) I don't actually have a solid reasoning other  than that (a Coolaudio v571d would have worked instead). No cost savings here, as the adapter board cost as much as the chip.  ;D

The vactrol came from Smallbear:
http://www.smallbear-electronics.mybigcommerce.com/photocoupler-coolaudio-vtl5c3/
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 12:00:31 PM by EBK »
No affiliations. If I glowingly mention specific merchants or products, it is because I like them without having to be paid to like them.

somnif

• Electron Doctor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2018, 01:11:07 PM »
For future reference you can get many adapter boards a bit cheaper through OSHpark rather than the proto-advantage stuff.

EBK

• Electron Doctor
  • Eric K.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2018, 01:38:43 PM »
For future reference you can get many adapter boards a bit cheaper through OSHpark rather than the proto-advantage stuff.
I did look at OSHpark first.  One problem is that this is a 300-mil wide chip, and I wanted to adapt it to a 300 mil DIP.  Most adapters create a much wider DIP footprint.  The Proto-Advantage board has pads for surface mount headers on the bottom to keep the pins narrow.

chordball

• Solder Ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2018, 11:21:13 PM »
Thanks!

Through-hole NE570s are no longer in production, so the SMD version is far easier to procure, and I need to keep sharpening my SMD skills to be ready for the future.  ;) I don't actually have a solid reasoning other  than that (a Coolaudio v571d would have worked instead). No cost savings here, as the adapter board cost as much as the chip.  ;D

The vactrol came from Smallbear:
http://www.smallbear-electronics.mybigcommerce.com/photocoupler-coolaudio-vtl5c3/

Ah, thanks for that. I thought only xvive did a "real" VTL5C3. Interesting.

Looking forward to seeing your completed build. If I'm lucky maybe I'll get mine built before 2019!