News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

ABDX-PIF build

Started by EBK, January 07, 2018, 08:20:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EBK

If you kind and extremely patient folks will indulge me again, I find it very self-motivating to report on what I build while I'm still building it.   :)

I recently received an Aquaboy Deluxe board as a generous PIF from Brian.  I'm having a lot of fun putting this thing together.

Here's what I have so far, the completed main board and a 15V charge pump board:

I've opted to use Xvive Audio MN3005 reproductions for the BBDs, a MN3101 clock, and an NE570 compander.

For the enclosure, I can't bring myself to mount the input and output jacks on opposite sides of a 1590BB (just a personal quirk, not a negative judgment), so instead, I'm working on a landscape orientation with offboard pots (even though it will pretty much take up the exact same width on a pedalboard).  Here's a rough idea of what I have come up with so far (I love Inkscape):

"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

chordball

Looking good! I dig that layout a lot. Any reason for an smd NE570 other than that it's probably what you already had?

Also, what vactrol is that? It's the same one that's used in the new micro-tron. I've been curious what it was but could never find it anywhere.

EBK

Thanks!

Through-hole NE570s are no longer in production, so the SMD version is far easier to procure, and I need to keep sharpening my SMD skills to be ready for the future.  ;) I don't actually have a solid reasoning other  than that (a Coolaudio v571d would have worked instead). No cost savings here, as the adapter board cost as much as the chip.  ;D

The vactrol came from Smallbear:
http://www.smallbear-electronics.mybigcommerce.com/photocoupler-coolaudio-vtl5c3/
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

somnif

For future reference you can get many adapter boards a bit cheaper through OSHpark rather than the proto-advantage stuff.

EBK

Quote from: somnif on January 07, 2018, 11:11:07 AM
For future reference you can get many adapter boards a bit cheaper through OSHpark rather than the proto-advantage stuff.
I did look at OSHpark first.  One problem is that this is a 300-mil wide chip, and I wanted to adapt it to a 300 mil DIP.  Most adapters create a much wider DIP footprint.  The Proto-Advantage board has pads for surface mount headers on the bottom to keep the pins narrow.

chordball

Quote from: EBK on January 07, 2018, 09:05:10 AM
Thanks!

Through-hole NE570s are no longer in production, so the SMD version is far easier to procure, and I need to keep sharpening my SMD skills to be ready for the future.  ;) I don't actually have a solid reasoning other  than that (a Coolaudio v571d would have worked instead). No cost savings here, as the adapter board cost as much as the chip.  ;D

The vactrol came from Smallbear:
http://www.smallbear-electronics.mybigcommerce.com/photocoupler-coolaudio-vtl5c3/

Ah, thanks for that. I thought only xvive did a "real" VTL5C3. Interesting.

Looking forward to seeing your completed build. If I'm lucky maybe I'll get mine built before 2019!

EBK

I'm blowing the dust off of this long-neglected project of mine. I still don't think I'll finish it soon, but some progress is better than no progress, right?

Anyway, I've finished tweaking my graphics design (I think).

Now I just need to figure out how I am going to actually make this real (I could always give PPP a bajillion dollars to make it.).  :P

Here is the internal arrangement from my fit test:

I'm 80% confident this will work in this configuration.

alanp

Trivia for the day: the male symbol comes from the Roman god, Mars (it's supposed to be a shield and spear.) The Romans were heavily into Mars as a god.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

EBK

That symbol is in a layer named "Mars" in my Inkscape file.  8)

EBK

Enclosure has been drilled.

Next, I plan to polish this up and give it some sort of candy blue coating.  I've been experimenting with dyed Polycrylic, which shows some promise.

dawson

Wow- that is a clean layout, indeed.  Well done sir, I'm looking forward to seeing how that finish turns out.
Criticism is encouraged: constructive, or otherwise.

cooder

Looking like a sweeeeet thing coming there...! Tasty. Dig the graphics too. Noice.
BigNoise Amplification

Boba7

Looks awesome, I cant wait to see more pics!

EBK

The most important thing that science produces is data, even when the result is a failure.  I got a ton of clumping in the Polycrylic when I tried to dye it darker.  Trying one more time.

alanp

Maybe clear, tinted epoxy, sanded back to a mirror finish?
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website