Author Topic: ABDX-PIF build  (Read 1913 times)

benny_profane

• Stompbox Star
    • View Profile
Re: ABDX-PIF build
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2019, 10:10:14 AM »
It dries close enough to clear to be called clear, but if you apply it thick, it is very slightly yellow.  That's why my blue coating starts off sky blue but cures as teal/aqua.

Ah gotcha. I suppose I usually use it on a darker substrate without whites so it's never been much of an issue. Polyurethane will yellow like mad, though. Artist friends of mine have unfortunately destroyed pieces with that stuff.

Have you considered envirotex or similar as a finish after you've decoupaged the labeling? That would be a way to avoid yellowing at all.

EBK

• Electron Doctor
  • Eric K.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2019, 10:16:40 AM »
Epoxy won't work over acrylics, in general (it might work on cast acrylic, i.e., plexiglass).

I could be wrong, but I'm not going to chance it.
Not affiliated with Oatey, makers of the world's best and most delicious* low tar solder paste. Ask for Oatey -- It's the juiciest!

*Solder paste is not food.  If ingested, seek medical help promptly.

benny_profane

• Stompbox Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2019, 11:02:51 AM »
Epoxy won't work over acrylics, in general (it might work on cast acrylic, i.e., plexiglass).

I could be wrong, but I'm not going to chance it.

That's certainly a good point. I've gotten away with using envirotex on top of inkjet waterslides set with an acrylic spray varnish, but that's maybe testing safe practices of material sciences and not the best way to go about things.

EBK

• Electron Doctor
  • Eric K.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2019, 10:00:49 AM »
Any opinions on whether the jack labels should radiate from the same center as everything else (as illustrated below)?
Not affiliated with Oatey, makers of the world's best and most delicious* low tar solder paste. Ask for Oatey -- It's the juiciest!

benny_profane

• Stompbox Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2019, 10:23:56 AM »
Iíd add some concentric lines along the text path center and maybe some between the knobs as well to tie it together. It doesnít necessarily look unified if that makes sense. Barring that, Iíd probably try aligning them with the top edge.

EBK

• Electron Doctor
  • Eric K.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2019, 10:58:29 AM »
You mean like the spokes here (I've made some of my guides visible--the spokes are a bit faint)?

benny_profane

• Stompbox Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2019, 01:59:14 PM »
Yeah w/r/t the circles. Actually gives it a cool planetary/solar system feel. Iíd adjust the lines so they arenít just in-line with the text...just there so that thereís something holding the arc patterns together when it spreads further away from the knobs. Am I making sense? What do you think?

EBK

• Electron Doctor
  • Eric K.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2019, 03:46:21 PM »
I may end up doing the paper labels as complete rings.  Here is my plan, which will require a bit of experimenting first to see if it is feasible:
1.  I will print a mirror image of the full set of graphics as a layout template.  I will also print out a non-mirrored copy and cut it into rings.
2.  I will attempt to lay a sheet of cling wrap (not sure if this has a different name in other parts of the world) over top of the template.
3. I will use Polycrylic to "glue" the graphic rings to the cling wrap in the corresponding locations.
4. I will apply a coating of Polycrylic to the enclosure and attempt to glue it to the back of the graphic elements.
5.  I will successfully* peel off the cling wrap and apply some more Polycrylic over top of everything.

*This is the part I have to verify through science first.  ;)

EBK

• Electron Doctor
  • Eric K.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2019, 08:29:14 AM »
Playing around with graphics a bit more.

The white rings and center circle represent cutouts where the enclosure would show.

I would need to fix the 9V/INPUT ring, and I think I will try breaking the innermost ring a bit, but it is showing some promise.

Now, I am thinking of making the innermost ring wider instead of breaking it into multiple partial rings.  I might make it the same width as the stomp switch washer.  Thinking a white plastic washer might actually look good here (am I crazy?).

Will probably at least try to make the Mars symbol a cutout too.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2019, 09:18:34 AM by EBK »

alanp

• Electron Doctor
    • View Profile
    • http://alanp.info/
« Reply #39 on: October 12, 2019, 03:34:03 PM »
... this is just my opinion, but you are really overthinking this, I reckon :)
"Hot water, good dentishtry and shoft lavatory paper."
- Cohen the Barbarian, on what is greatest in life
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

EBK

• Electron Doctor
  • Eric K.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 12, 2019, 03:38:04 PM »
Probably.  I'll put it down and build something else for a while.

benny_profane

• Stompbox Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 12, 2019, 04:01:59 PM »
For what itís worth, I dig the direction youíre taking it!