News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

ABDX-PIF build

Started by EBK, January 07, 2018, 08:20:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

benny_profane

Quote from: EBK on October 09, 2019, 09:06:22 AM
It dries close enough to clear to be called clear, but if you apply it thick, it is very slightly yellow.  That's why my blue coating starts off sky blue but cures as teal/aqua.

Ah gotcha. I suppose I usually use it on a darker substrate without whites so it's never been much of an issue. Polyurethane will yellow like mad, though. Artist friends of mine have unfortunately destroyed pieces with that stuff.

Have you considered envirotex or similar as a finish after you've decoupaged the labeling? That would be a way to avoid yellowing at all.

EBK

Epoxy won't work over acrylics, in general (it might work on cast acrylic, i.e., plexiglass).

I could be wrong, but I'm not going to chance it.
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

benny_profane

Quote from: EBK on October 09, 2019, 09:16:40 AM
Epoxy won't work over acrylics, in general (it might work on cast acrylic, i.e., plexiglass).

I could be wrong, but I'm not going to chance it.

That's certainly a good point. I've gotten away with using envirotex on top of inkjet waterslides set with an acrylic spray varnish, but that's maybe testing safe practices of material sciences and not the best way to go about things.

EBK

Any opinions on whether the jack labels should radiate from the same center as everything else (as illustrated below)?
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

benny_profane

I'd add some concentric lines along the text path center and maybe some between the knobs as well to tie it together. It doesn't necessarily look unified if that makes sense. Barring that, I'd probably try aligning them with the top edge.

EBK

You mean like the spokes here (I've made some of my guides visible--the spokes are a bit faint)?

benny_profane

Yeah w/r/t the circles. Actually gives it a cool planetary/solar system feel. I'd adjust the lines so they aren't just in-line with the text...just there so that there's something holding the arc patterns together when it spreads further away from the knobs. Am I making sense? What do you think?

EBK

I may end up doing the paper labels as complete rings.  Here is my plan, which will require a bit of experimenting first to see if it is feasible:
1.  I will print a mirror image of the full set of graphics as a layout template.  I will also print out a non-mirrored copy and cut it into rings.
2.  I will attempt to lay a sheet of cling wrap (not sure if this has a different name in other parts of the world) over top of the template.
3. I will use Polycrylic to "glue" the graphic rings to the cling wrap in the corresponding locations.
4. I will apply a coating of Polycrylic to the enclosure and attempt to glue it to the back of the graphic elements.
5.  I will successfully* peel off the cling wrap and apply some more Polycrylic over top of everything.

*This is the part I have to verify through science first.  ;)

Edit: Cling wrap wasn't used.  I carefully cut out the drill holes on the "controls ring" and "innermost ring", and glued those rings to the enclosure first (aligning them to the already drilled holes).  They formed a sufficient guide for the remaining ring pieces.

EBK

Playing around with graphics a bit more.

The white rings and center circle represent cutouts where the enclosure would show.

I would need to fix the 9V/INPUT ring, and I think I will try breaking the innermost ring a bit, but it is showing some promise.

Now, I am thinking of making the innermost ring wider instead of breaking it into multiple partial rings.  I might make it the same width as the stomp switch washer.  Thinking a white plastic washer might actually look good here (am I crazy?).

Will probably at least try to make the Mars symbol a cutout too.

Sneaking this update in quietly in order to reduce my forum noise (shh!):

Nearly done!

alanp

... this is just my opinion, but you are really overthinking this, I reckon :)
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

EBK

Probably.  I'll put it down and build something else for a while.

(Updated above.)

benny_profane

For what it's worth, I dig the direction you're taking it!

EBK

Progress!  Finialized the design, printed it, coated both sides of the paper with Polycrylic, pressed the paper flat inside a textbook once the Polycrylic was dry, cut out the rings, and glued them to the enclosure with more Polycrylic.  I'm going to keep adding layers of Polycrylic to level the surface a bit more.
Made a video to show how the subsurface reflection looks with this translucent finish.

Caedarn

Boba7

Wow that looks awesome!

I honestly can't wait to see it finished, it will be so great!
Great job, really great. :)