News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Fine nut tightening tools out NZ

Started by drolo, January 09, 2018, 11:53:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

drolo

somnif

How much torque can 3D printed things handle? I'm curious.

cajone5

Very cool -- $10.50 shipping made it a no-go for me but it's definitely something I'd like to have.  I have a nice socket for the pots but not the other components.  I actually just put a scratch in a pedal the other day when my pliers slipped off a toggle nut... ugh.  Cool idea.

drolo

Quote from: somnif on January 09, 2018, 12:05:33 PM
How much torque can 3D printed things handle? I'm curious.
I think that given the thickness it should be able to handle the torque necessary for the kind of parts we tighten.
you actually better not tighten stuff too much. I have decapitated my share of pots and jacks to know :-/  footswitches can handle more torque, whether they need it is another story
Time will tell, I'll report back ;-)

Willybomb

Quote$10.50 shipping

That will be in NZ dollars though.  Probably around US$7.50.

trotel

Looks like it's in USD after all.  Still pretty cool, ordered mine.  I like the idea of reduced scratch-ability.

BryGuy

I basically mad my own version of these with some sockets and a bit of Surgu. Surgu is cool stuff. Basically like silly putty that bonds to just about anything and drys to a hard rubber. I just added a bit to the sides of the sockets I use to give them wings more or less. They work great and never need a pair of pliers. And I can still use the sockets for other things if I need to since the wings are pretty unobtrusive.

I'll upload a picture after work.

drolo

BryGuy

Here are a few quick snap shots of the one I use for footswitches. Smaller sockets can have only 2 or three blades. You can get more than enough torque with something like this and since your doing it by hand you can really feel when it's tight enough and not over tight.

drolo

I had no idea sugru bonded so well, even to metal. I really need to find some of that stuff
I agree about your point that it's better when you can feel how much torque you apply. Often when I used a wrench it ended badly ..

287m

for you who have 3d printer
why not make socket wrench, just copied from real wrench head  >:(

for who love manual handycraft
use real wrench as master then cut a thick plastic ;D

nzCdog

davent

All the pot nuts, jack nuts and so on that i use nut drivers to tighten, are non-metric.

To avoid scratching the enclosure i took a few strips of transparency film and cut holes though them slightly bigger then the various nut sizes. Lay the transparency around the nut you want to tighten and the nutdriver/wrench is prevented from touching the enclosure.

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

drolo

Update:

While they do work nicely and would have been really practical, in the long run they're just not sturdy enough.
Sorry if I got someone to buy them too ..

feel free to "I told you" ;-)

gordo

I'd never heard of sugru before so ironically your post was killer.  I love the stuff!
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?