News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Tayda recently?

Started by diablochris6, January 12, 2018, 02:45:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

diablochris6

Has anybody experienced a lack of service quality with Tayda recently? I received an order this week, but it was missing 15 1uF monolithic caps. Instead, my order came with an envelope with 15 15pF ceramic caps, and the label said they were the 1uF ones. I sent Tayda an e-mail about it, and their only reply so far has been, "Can you look again carefully or at the bottom of the package. The package is very small and could be hiding. This will concern our staff evaluation." I seem to recall a mislabelled envelope in a previous order, but the values were what I wanted, so I ignored it.

After about four years of ordering from them, I never ran into these issues, but maybe its just the luck of the draw.
Build guides of my original designs and modifications here

Scruffie

I did get a couple of mistakes in a recent order, 10 resistors instead of 20 and a couple of parts short here and there but for $0.30 I couldn't be arsed e-mailing them over it so I don't know what their response would be.
Works at Lectric-FX

Jules

I just measured a whole bunch of resistors I received yesterday all values were labelled correctly. I also noticed there 6.35mm, pcb mount potentiometers seemed to be slightly better quality than usual, they turn a bit easier than they usually do and they have recently started selling some more unusual values (c5k etc).
Also extremely fast express shipping (2 days to rural Australia).
So yeah my most recent Tayda experience was actually a good one!
Wonders never cease.

somnif

Quote from: Jules on January 12, 2018, 05:59:30 PM
I also noticed there 6.35mm, pcb mount potentiometers seemed to be slightly better quality than usual, they turn a bit easier than they usually do

Thats encouraging. Even with the price advantage I've never liked pots from Tayda as they needed so much torque to turn compared to the "same" pot from smallbear or mammoth.

culturejam

I've always noticed hit/miss quality in terms of accuracy (actual part quality is a separate issue). Most of m orders have been right, but about every third one has something amiss. For the price, I really can't get too upset.

The funniest screwup was that I got a bag that was labelled "100nF Film Caps" and it was some screw-in terminal blocks.  ;D
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

BrianS

There have been a couple of times recently that I thought I had gotten wrong parts and had to go look at my order and it was correct.  I order something from them once or twice a month and everything has been good.  In 4 years I've had one busted switch and a screw for a knob was missing.   

JackSkellington

My orders in 4 years (3-4 every year) are rather little, 40 $ at max. A value of a cap confused, 100nF instead 10nF. Another time I got a film cap with no printed value. In both these cases I got  a credit.
Once they incuded a cap for free just after the order, I ask them it because I forgot it. It was only 2 cents, but it was important to me to have that cap.
«Just because I cannot see it doesn't mean I can't believe it»

stringsthings

I order from Tayda pretty often and have only had one or two order mix-ups.  So I can't report anything out of the ordinary.

Though, I will say I probably won't be getting any 1N34's from them in the future. 
The last ones I bought were really fragile and broke as soon as I bent the leads.
All You Need Is Love

somnif

I have become leery of buying semiconductors from Tayda over the years. The transistors have gains that don't match their same-named siblings I get from Arrow or Mouser, the diodes have strange form factors I can't even find pictures proving the existence of, and their pt2399s keep thumping! (seriously, the mpsa13s I got from them had HALF the gain of the same tranny from Arrow, what the hell)

That said, I did just place a 600 item order a couple hours ago, so its not like I'm abandoning them or anything.  :P With Arrow on the board these days I just buy my diodes and transistors there. And in this case, Wima caps were cheaper through Arrow than Tayda, so, score there.

JackSkellington

I broke a 1N34A, too. I had some but I used rarely.

I have to say that every transistor like 2N5088, 2N5089, MPSA18... measuring the hfe with my multimeter, them had always a low value, under 300. ??? It was really strange, but I thought it was because my cheap multimeter.
«Just because I cannot see it doesn't mean I can't believe it»

blearyeyes

They probably buy rejects and overruns.

blearyeyes

I have noticed that their Tayda pots and knobs are a mixture of 6mm and 6.35mm shaft size without any/much labeling on their site. Some times they are little different in size. I'm definitely wanting more consistency and am willing to pay a bit more these days.

diablochris6

As an update, they eventually got back with me and offered a refund to my Paypal account or store credit.
Build guides of my original designs and modifications here