News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

USPS nixing international flats as a shipping method for anything but documents

Started by aion, January 17, 2018, 12:18:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aion

Yikes. I and most of the other US-based PCB sellers around here rely on USPS's International Flats pretty heavily for international shipments, but they're changing it in a couple days so it's now only valid for documents and correspondence, not merchandise of any sort. Letters are now subject to the same rules as well, so there don't appear to be any sneaky alternatives.

https://about.usps.com/postal-bulletin/2017/pb22482/html/updt_006.htm

Did anyone else know about this?

I'm covered somewhat by Stamps.com/ShipStation - they have a new thing called the Global Advantage Program where you mail it to them and then they relabel it and send it overseas for only $2.50 extra (covering the cost of getting it to them, I think), and it's all done automatically so nothing really changes except the cost - apparently they have a special agreement with USPS allowing them to send packages as flats under the old rates and regulations. But it still stings.

madbean

I had not heard about this. I use Endicia/Dazzle for all my international shipments and I don't recall receiving any notification of the change. This is really terrible news, actually. It's going to have a major impact on international customers. I really don't know what else to say...

somnif

Pcbs have writing on them,  therefore they are documents! ...cough.

gtr2

I've been using Endicia for years but I may need to switch if they don't offer a comparable service like stamps.com.

About half my sales are international flats.  If I lose international sales because of the shipping change, it may not be worth keeping up a storefront anymore.

I understand why they are doing it, but this one hurts...

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

sjaustin

Dang! I'm really sorry that this is going to affect you guys. I hope there's a reliable workaround.

aion

Quote from: gtr2 on January 17, 2018, 03:43:51 PM
About half my sales are international flats.

Same. And probably half of my international orders are just for one or two PCBs, which is very economical at $4 shipping. It'll still be palatable at $6.50, I think, but still less attractive.

gtr2

1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

madbean

Quote from: gtr2 on January 18, 2018, 06:48:14 AM
I found this on Endicia's website this morning...looks like they will be following the same process as stamps.com

https://www.endicia.com/support/faq-answer/?id=000001845

Josh

That's good news, thanks for posting that. Still, it's kind of a messed up way to do things. I'm a little bit weary of how reliable this is going to be.

aion

Quote from: madbean on January 18, 2018, 06:50:52 AM
Still, it's kind of a messed up way to do things. I'm a little bit weary of how reliable this is going to be.

It'll definitely add a couple days to shipping time, even assuming they can get it out the same day it was received, which seems unlikely. I wonder if they would ever get backed up, e.g. during the holidays which would add to the delay even further.

Endicia didn't indicate that there was any additional cost to this like ShipStation did, but there's no way they can ship it twice for the same cost (especially for 1oz packages). I'd be curious what their rates end up being.

diablochris6

I wonder how this will affect any hobbyist who sends an international PIF or whatnot in a standard letter envelope or inside a birthday card. Wouldn't this policy also affect gift cards sent in cards as well? Not sure about the weight of those.
Build guides of my original designs and modifications here

Rockhorst

I'm so glad that Dutch postal services are a lot less finnicky about this kind of stuff. When this madness with USPS started I was expecting them to follow that example, but so far, so good. If it fits through a standard size letter box, you're allowed to put whatever you want (within the law) inside an envelope. Current price point for 2 medium PCBs, including the envelope, is $3.50 here at the moment. The 4 Bungard sensitized FR4 material I sent out yesterday was about $10 ( (heavy stuff, about the weight of 2 boss pedals).

Hope it all pans out and that there's a work around or something.

gtr2

The endicia rates for shipping flats using the "trusted partners" are about the same as the stamps.com service.

I imagine it is the same 3rd party for all the popular shipping interfaces.

We'll see in a few days...

1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

madbean

Yeah I'll be reporting back when I find out more how this is going to work. Please do the same!

madbean

Well, I'm not seeing the option to ship with Flats re-labeling option with the Dazzle software.

gtr2

I have no options but to ship a package rate so far.
I contacted Endicia about it a few min ago, I'm not sure how quick they are to respond.
I would have thought the last update would have included the option they presented.
If I ship out the current international orders I have at the moment I will take a $40+ loss on shipping...
I may need to get creative if they can't fix it quickly.
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer