News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

USPS nixing international flats as a shipping method for anything but documents

Started by aion, January 17, 2018, 12:18:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aion

Quote from: gtr2 on January 22, 2018, 05:55:15 AM
I have no options but to ship a package rate so far.
I contacted Endicia about it a few min ago, I'm not sure how quick they are to respond.
I would have thought the last update would have included the option they presented.
If I ship out the current international orders I have at the moment I will take a $40+ loss on shipping...
I may need to get creative if they can't fix it quickly.

You can get ShipStation free for the first month... it'll take a bit to get everything set up and may not be worth saving $40, but maybe Endicia will have things figured out by the time the trial is up?

gtr2

Quote from: madbean on January 21, 2018, 08:52:08 AM
Well, I'm not seeing the option to ship with Flats re-labeling option with the Dazzle software.
I called Endicia's support number today as my support ticket was not answered.  They have to activate it on your account and you have to call to do it.  None of which was said in the email...
I have had the mac plan and use my laptop, but it's only available on windows for the addition.  So I have to do a workaround.  Luckily I have a PC now for all my design work (as I needed Altium for a project), but now I have two plans mac/PC but one only pay for one.

I have to wait for everything to go through the Global Shipping provider and then I can resume shipping international flats at the higher rate but not the higher package rate.

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

aion

For those of you outside the US, what kind of shipping rates do you typically pay for PCBs when ordering inside of Europe, Australia, etc.?

bsoncini

Quote from: aion on January 23, 2018, 08:45:07 AM
For those of you outside the US, what kind of shipping rates do you typically pay for PCBs when ordering inside of Europe, Australia, etc.?

I think the only person I've ever bought pcbs from in europe is Parasit Studios and I think it varies depending on how many pcbs but iirc anywhere from 2 to 4 euros.  I'm sure Frederik knows better than me.  I have sent a few things to people in europe.  To send a few pcbs in France costs me about 2-3 euros and outside France in Europe maybe 4-5 (which is basically the same price to the US)

If I order a small amount of parts from musikding the shipping normally costs around 3 euros and is sent as a letter by german post and probably weighs more than a few pcbs.

madbean

I got an email response to my support ticket which confirmed what Josh said, so I'm going to see about getting it set up.

Interesting tidbit from the email:
We also recommend that you call our Tech Support line to speak to an agent who can remote into your computer and guide you through the process.

JFC. I cannot believe they would even suggest that. Who's going to let some IT guy remote into their computer for something like that? No thanks.

EBK

Quote from: madbean on January 23, 2018, 12:22:19 PM
I got an email response to my support ticket which confirmed what Josh said, so I'm going to see about getting it set up.

We also recommend that you call our Tech Support line to speak to an agent who can remote into your computer and guide you through the process.

JFC. I cannot believe they would even suggest that. Who's going to let some IT guy remote into their computer for something like that? No thanks.
All I can think of is the MS tech support scam, which I've read goes something like this once remote access is granted:

*Opens web browser*
*Goes to paypal.com*
"Ok, sir. Now, log into your account."
  ::)
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

Haberdasher

Quote from: madbean on January 23, 2018, 12:22:19 PM

The one time I contacted them for support on something about a year ago (for a very simple question, mind you) the tech wanted to remote into my machine "...to make sure you have it set installed correctly".  So evidently that's a big thing with them, & fwiw, I had the same reaction as you.  And anyway, it's not like dazzle is real tricky to install or something,  wtf.  That's like going to see the doc for a sore throat and he suggests a colonoscopy.

Anyway, how do I set it up?  Is it true I have to call them?  I tried this morning and went through their menu for setting it up, but finally had to hang up after 20 minutes.
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

madbean

Quote from: Haberdasher on January 23, 2018, 12:46:22 PM
Anyway, how do I set it up?  Is it true I have to call them?  I tried this morning and went through their menu for setting it up, but finally had to hang up after 20 minutes.

You have to set up a new account for some reason, but there is no service fee in addition to the normal monthly one. Here's what they sent me (I haven't done this yet).

Thank you for contacting Endicia Customer Support.

We understand your concerns. Please be advised that this change affecting First-Class International Flats rate class is a direct edict from the USPS and forced upon them by the Universal Postal Union.

The only option you can do at this moment is to create another Endicia account that uses Endicia Multi-rate Service (EMS) so that you can use Global Advantage Program (GAP). Please note that your information on your account will not be migrated over to the second account. Each account is independent of the other. One is your original account and the second is an EMS account that you will use for GAP. The new EMS account will be complimentary and will not charge any service fees.

To get started with creating that second account, please go to:

https://www.endicia.com/resellers/multi-rate-service-signup?id=UBZ3TH7QRILYDBL8

gtr2

The tech support I talked to was great and got everything rolling.  I don't understand the two accounts thing and why they can migrate them.  I will be checking my credit card closely for additional fees.

FWIW, no one mentioned or suggested remotely controlling my PC (nor would I allow it).

The software is not dazzle and the user interface kinda sucks tbh.  I had a hard time getting my labels to print correctly due to the software defaulting to what your device manager has the label size set at and there is no print preview.

Still waiting to be accepted to the GAP....

1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

Haberdasher

Thanks for the info, Brian!
I signed up and installed the software, but I don't see any way of applying for GAP.  I'll probably have to end up calling them anyway.
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

gtr2

1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

somnif

Quote from: madbean on January 23, 2018, 01:28:57 PM
Thank you for contacting Endicia Customer Support.

We understand your concerns. Please be advised that this change affecting First-Class International Flats rate class is a direct edict from the USPS and forced upon them by the Universal Postal Union.

Very interesting, this is the first I've heard that this change was made by the UPU. I had assumed it was the USPS getting screwed over again and having to cut costs (not sure how the change means lower costs, but logic and government agencies rarely end up together).

WormBoy

Quote from: somnif on January 23, 2018, 03:05:28 PM
Very interesting, this is the first I've heard that this change was made by the UPU.
I find that hard to believe as this affects US to rest of the world only. The rest of the world can still send PCBs around, across national boundaries, at reasonable rates.

somnif

This was in an internal document from the USPS back in September:

https://ribbs.usps.gov/intelligentmail_schedule2018/releases/jan2018/docs/Jan2018ReleaseOverview.pdf

"9.0 Limit the Content for First-Class Mail International (FCMI) to Documents

The USPS is considering changes to the International Mail Manual (IMM) and other system language to clarify that First-Class Mail International (FCMI)content is limited to documents in order to prevent mailers from inducting goods or merchandise into the FCMI stream. This change will exclude goods from theFCMI format P (letters) and format G (flats).  This change aligns with the Universal Postal Union(UPU) Integrated Product Plan (IPP) which will require that format P (letters) and format G (flats) may contain only documents, not goods. The requirement to remove goods also applies to International Priority Airmail (IPA)and International Surface Air Lift (ISAL) letter and flat streams as well. The definition of "documents" and "goods" will be updated in the IMM to align with the required UPU changes."

The IPP it mentions: http://www.upu.int/fileadmin/documentsFiles/activities/integratedProductPlan/ippPrinciplesEn.pdf

And reading other reports, it looks like other countries SHOULD also start to follow this protocol. It seems that some countries are exploiting cheap shipping to mess with the markets and blah blah blah. Government speak, gibberish, etc.

Here: http://www.ncsl.org/blog/2018/01/16/please-mr-postman-are-americans-subsidizing-foreign-shipments.aspx

In other words, it all appears to be one bloody mess, and the UPU doesn't hold another congress until 2020, so there is a chance we will be stuck with this crap for another 2 years.

somnif

In short: Because other countries (China is noted by name) can ship stuff to the US for cheap, US people are less likely to buy from US retailers. So by making foreign buyers unwilling to buy from US retailers, everything will be better!

....Um.

:o