News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Digital Volume Control Pedal

Started by senoravocado, January 18, 2018, 01:11:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

senoravocado

Hello guys! I have a project that a bassist friend asked me to do, and I am not quite sure how to go about it! He was wanting a volume pedal but instead of having a foot treadle or a knob, he wanted it to just have 2 switches, one that is "volume down" and one that is "volume up" It would be just like a tv remote's volume buttons, but in a more rugged foot switch. I have done some googling and see that digital pots seem to be the way to go, but I was wondering what would be the simplest solution. He said that he would only need it to go from silent to unity, and i guess some leds to indicate what "level" he is at. I imagine that he would only need maybe 8-10 volume steps if that makes sense and he doesn't need any boost or anything. I am hoping this great community can help me out! Thanks!

woolie

Quote from: senoravocado on January 18, 2018, 01:11:36 PM
Hello guys! I have a project that a bassist friend asked me to do, and I am not quite sure how to go about it! He was wanting a volume pedal but instead of having a foot treadle or a knob, he wanted it to just have 2 switches, one that is "volume down" and one that is "volume up" It would be just like a tv remote's volume buttons, but in a more rugged foot switch. I have done some googling and see that digital pots seem to be the way to go, but I was wondering what would be the simplest solution. He said that he would only need it to go from silent to unity, and i guess some leds to indicate what "level" he is at. I imagine that he would only need maybe 8-10 volume steps if that makes sense and he doesn't need any boost or anything. I am hoping this great community can help me out! Thanks!

This seems perfect for a small PIC chip. It would seem trivial to do with one of those. IMHO of course.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

jimilee

I actually did this with a boost in an A B switch. If you don't power it, the volume won't go past unity, and b went to the tuner. So it went in-> straight to boost-> A B switch -> out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

blearyeyes

There is an EXH volume dip passive that would
work. Simple.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

madbean

Another way to do it: micro-controller for optical control. Take an audio snippet of an optical tremolo, let the controller change the brightness of an LED/LDR combo. One switch makes it get brighter, the other switch get dimmer. Of course, you have to write some code for that!

Would actually be a neat project.

senoravocado

Thanks guys! Writing code for micro-controllers is something that I am not yet familiar with, but do plan on learning at some point! I am totally willing to give it a shot, but if I am being honest I would definitely need my hand to be held for most of the steps.

Blearyeyes-I tried to google "EXH volume dip passive" but wasn't sure what I was trying to find, is it a dip chip or maybe some kind of pedal?

While looking around I found this project http://audio.gotroot.ca/minivol/#parts Do you guys think this could be a solution?