News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Fentanyl killed Tom Petty

Started by madbean, January 19, 2018, 05:58:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

somnif

Here in AZ we have started giving our Livestock inspection officers narcan to carry in their cars. Its becoming such a problem out in the rural communities that half the time it is the cow cops who are the only folks who can make it to them in time.

Hell, we have billboards up on the Freeway saying "Carry naloxone". What the hell man.

TNblueshawk

I don't think it is quite clear that Fentanyl was the cause per se. I mean this is what they found in his system

The medical examiner's news release said the autopsy found these drugs in Petty's system: fentanyl, oxycodone, acetyl fentanyl and despropionyl fentanyl, which are opioids; temazepam and alprazolam, which are sedatives; and citalopram, an antidepressant.

Of note: Acetyl fentanyl has not been approved for medical use in the United States and there are no published studies on safety for human use. It is classified as a schedule I drug[/b]

I guess we will never know his intentions but he was way too smart of a guy to know that all those drugs would likely kill him and soon. Not sure where one gets Acetyl Fentanyl exactly. Doesn't appear you get a script for it. I can't imagine the drag on his heart trying to pump with that mix of drugs.

I guess he just could never completely kick his demons.
John

blearyeyes

Quote from: TNblueshawk on January 26, 2018, 11:33:50 AM
I don't think it is quite clear that Fentanyl was the cause per se. I mean this is what they found in his system

The medical examiner's news release said the autopsy found these drugs in Petty's system: fentanyl, oxycodone, acetyl fentanyl and despropionyl fentanyl, which are opioids; temazepam and alprazolam, which are sedatives; and citalopram, an antidepressant.

Of note: Acetyl fentanyl has not been approved for medical use in the United States and there are no published studies on safety for human use. It is classified as a schedule I drug[/b]

I guess we will never know his intentions but he was way too smart of a guy to know that all those drugs would likely kill him and soon. Not sure where one gets Acetyl Fentanyl exactly. Doesn't appear you get a script for it. I can't imagine the drag on his heart trying to pump with that mix of drugs.

Addiction is a nasty Demon. It's like a subconscious desire for the ultimate peace of death which fights against and overcomes the desire and instinctual struggle to live.  It's truly a form of insanity that knows no boundaries and has no personal preference. 

It is said that approximately one in twelve people struggle with alcohol addiction. That does not include the myriad of other addictions. So somebody reading this might find themselves in a similar situation as Tom did. To them I would say that there is a path out of the insanity, even if you can't see it.  You have to take the first step. PM me if you want.

matmosphere

He probably got it from his doctor. Not having  FDA approval isn't a barrier. It just means it's not been tested. They give pregnant women a drug called pitocin to induce labor all the time, but it's not FDA approved for that purpose.

gordo

I think my doc has used the words "suck it up and take motrin" a few times.  Probably in my best interest, he's a brilliant man.

And blearyeyes I love reading your posts for your penchant to absolutely murder the english language in print.  And I mean that with the utmost respect :-)  I think you're banging out the keyboard at a rate where it becomes phonetic.  I love it.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

blearyeyes

Quote from: gordo on January 26, 2018, 06:55:25 PM
I think my doc has used the words "suck it up and take motrin" a few times.  Probably in my best interest, he's a brilliant man.

And blearyeyes I love reading your posts for your penchant to absolutely murder the english language in print.  And I mean that with the utmost respect :-)  I think you're banging out the keyboard at a rate where it becomes phonetic.  I love it.
Yea, not thinking much about spelling and grammar. Plus I had just gotten out of bed. Takes me about three hours to wake up these days.

blearyeyes

There... I rewrote it in English.  8-))

TNblueshawk

Quote from: blearyeyes on January 26, 2018, 02:27:32 PM

Addiction is a nasty Demon. It's like a subconscious desire for the ultimate peace of death which fights against and overcomes the desire and instinctual struggle to live.  It's truly a form of insanity that knows no boundaries and has no personal preference. 

It is said that approximately one in twelve people struggle with alcohol addiction. That does not include the myriad of other addictions. So somebody reading this might find themselves in a similar situation as Tom did. To them I would say that there is a path out of the insanity, even if you can't see it.  You have to take the first step. PM me if you want.

Agree totally with you Bleary. The question I always have and really can't be answered is why some can kick it and many, most?, can't. What  is the difference in the human brain of the one that can versus one that can't. Perplexing. Unanswerable I suppose. In 2013 I had to kick Tramadol. Doesn't sound like much on the surface but I can assure you the first 72 hours sucked beyond words and the next few weeks were a total drag. It took at least 6 months before I felt like the physical symptoms were behind me. The mental ones left quickly in my case as I frankly didn't want to be in those shoes again.

So in my case I just said fuck it. I know where this could go if I kept going. Tapered down and then bit the bullet. The very thought of ever taking a pain pill again is off the table. I don't crave it and to be honest if I ever need surgery for one of my many torn ligaments I plan to not take anything, zero. Man, that will suck the first 2-4 days too.

So back to my question. Why could I do it and others can't? Dunno to be honest. Just said fuck it and done. Admittedly, I think the key in my case is I didn't let it escalate to some version of a full blown non functional addiction so the real decision was at that point I believe. In other words, I was still capable of beating it because the degree to which I relied on the opioid was withing my control still. So I'm actually unqualified to comment further on those that got the addiction needle to 10. Not judging by the way. Just spit balling as I've asked myself many times why, knowing full well I have no idea of the hell they have created.

Our best friends son will probably die this year as a heroin (insert drug here____) addict. The best guess is he has reached the end of his escapades. I've gotten updates weekly for years and the things he has done is right out of a textbook of addicts. You name it, he's done it to family, friends and himself. I've sort of had a front row seat on this one. As such, I've had many a discussion, hundreds if you will, with his step mom. Can't talk to the dad, my best friend, as it crushes him.

I have many other issues but this wasn't going to be one of them  :P
John

blearyeyes

Quote from: TNblueshawk on January 29, 2018, 05:33:46 AM
Quote from: blearyeyes on January 26, 2018, 02:27:32 PM

Addiction is a nasty Demon. It’s like a subconscious desire for the ultimate peace of death which fights against and overcomes the desire and instinctual struggle to live.  It’s truly a form of insanity that knows no boundaries and has no personal preference. 

Agree totally with you Bleary. The question I always have and really can't be answered is why some can kick it and many, most?, can't. What  is the difference in the human brain of the one that can versus one that can't. Perplexing. Unanswerable I suppose. In 2013 I had to kick Tramadol. Doesn't sound like much on the surface but I can assure you the first 72 hours sucked beyond words and the next few weeks were a total drag. It took at least 6 months before I felt like the physical symptoms were behind me. The mental ones left quickly in my case as I frankly didn't want to be in those shoes again.

So in my case I just said fuck it. I know where this could go if I kept going. Tapered down and then bit the bullet. The very thought of ever taking a pain pill again is off the table. I don't crave it and to be honest if I ever need surgery for one of my many torn ligaments I plan to not take anything, zero. Man, that will suck the first 2-4 days too.

So back to my question. Why could I do it and others can't? Dunno to be honest. Just said fuck it and done. Admittedly, I think the key in my case is I didn't let it escalate to some version of a full blown non functional addiction so the real decision was at that point I believe. In other words, I was still capable of beating it because the degree to which I relied on the opioid was withing my control still. So I'm actually unqualified to comment further on those that got the addiction needle to 10. Not judging by the way. Just spit balling as I've asked myself many times why, knowing full well I have no idea of the hell they have created.

Our best friends son will probably die this year as a heroin (insert drug here____) addict. The best guess is he has reached the end of his escapades. I've gotten updates weekly for years and the things he has done is right out of a textbook of addicts. You name it, he's done it to family, friends and himself. I've sort of had a front row seat on this one. As such, I've had many a discussion, hundreds if you will, with his step mom. Can't talk to the dad, my best friend, as it crushes him.

I have many other issues but this wasn't going to be one of them  [emoji14]

Yes addiction is a baffling thing.  I took Tramadol when I had 3rd degree burns and it was the worst comedown and only after a few months.  I have met guys that cannot stop taking opioids but don’t have a problem with booze and some cannot stop drinking but don't have an issue with opioids and benzos.  Go figure.  You would think addiction is addiction but I suppose chemical dependency would be a better term. Since we all have differing chemical makeup it would follow that different chemicals could ensnare us.

I guess the answer is somewhere in the brain although I think there is a spiritual component as well.  Seems to be a mixture of brain, body chemistry and spiritual lack or brokenness, while DNA is passing down the propensity to fall into it..  I can say that I would be dead now If I hadn't done something about it.  It is difficult to come to the realization that you have no power over a substance and it is making your life miserable and unmanageable.  You take the chemical to not feel the misery and yet the chemical makes you miserable after a while. The old snake with it's tail in it's mouth. You try to overcome it in your own power but you cannot. You have to humble yourself and accept defeat before you can pull a Phoenix maneuver and start to recover. I would love to do something to help others.   

Your friend needs to get his son into rehab asap. But I've seen people that go in and you know they are just going to use again.  Something in thier thought process that you can feel. 

People that think addicts can just stop doing what they are doing need to see it from the inside out. Empathy helps, not enableing.

Oh and MotrIn/Ibuprofen can work wonders for pain.

Frag Magnet

Oh, how I miss Army medicine.

"Sucks about your knee injury we should operate on but never will. Here's some 800mg Motrin. Drink water, change your socks."

It's either that or they turn the pharmacy into candy land.
Careful what you wish for, friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

blearyeyes

Your moniker "frag magnet" says a lot .   I ended up in the emergency room, they gave me morphine, it still hurt but I didn't care anymore.

TNblueshawk

Quote from: blearyeyes on January 30, 2018, 01:36:40 PM
Your moniker "frag magnet" says a lot .   I ended up in the emergency room, they gave me morphine, it still hurt but I didn't care anymore.

I can't recall the exact story but Frag earned that nickname.

What's up Frag? Been awhile. I still lurk a bit at BYOC.
John

blearyeyes

I figured.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Frag Magnet

Quote from: TNblueshawk on January 31, 2018, 01:13:53 PM
Quote from: blearyeyes on January 30, 2018, 01:36:40 PM

I can't recall the exact story but Frag earned that nickname.

What's up Frag? Been awhile. I still lurk a bit at BYOC.
I can't really say I earned it but my resume does have some similarities to Thorpy's and I like the phrase.

Anyway, not a lot going on with me. Doing my first real semester of college... have managed to not strangle nor yell at any kids yet. I too still (mostly) lurk at BYOC.
Careful what you wish for, friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

Boba7

Very interesting read, thank you everyone.

I too believe that there really is something spiritual going on (or not going on) with addiction.
I've used opiates for about 5 years, and have struggled with alcohol and other substances for many years more. I stopped everything, but for me, the real turning point was not getting past the physical or mental withdrawal (both horrible), it was healing spiritually, and learning acceptance (and in my case, going down to the Amazon jungle to have Ayahuasca ceremonies was THE turning point, a major change in my life)

I just read this morning about this documentary: https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2018/jan/31/it-needs-to-make-you-uncomfortable-the-opioid-documentary-set-to-shock-america
Thought it might be relevant.

Thanks for sharing everyone. :)