Started by madbean, January 20, 2018, 01:58:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

madbean

peAk

His hip hurt, dude

oxy & fentanyl to the rescue

pickdropper

It is sad and very unfortunate.

I'm no medical expert, but I'd really like to know the thought process behind prescribing Fentanyl to a former Heroin addict.  I'm also curious if Petty was following the recommended dosage or if he went off script.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

jimilee

This news crushes and disappoints.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Boba7

Yes it's incredibly sad, and I also wonder about prescribing Fentanyl to heroin addicts... make no sense to me.
And come on, Fentanyl has been killing for more than a decade now! I remember first reading about it about Domino Harvey's death.
So many drug policies make no sense to me. In my country (France), it's only recently that they stopped selling codeine over the counter.

Sad and frustrating indeed.

rockola

Spacebass

Yes, Boba, Iknow how you feel, Im from Spain and meds here are prescribed in a way that I dont understand... or I dont want to think that pharm industry rules doctor's prescriptions. A girl I know was prescribed a med for intense back pain, she was recovering for a month after surgery and one day she told us that while driving she had a thought of she driving out of the road in a mountains place, commiting suicide, and that she had these thoughts lately, she didnt know what was happening to her. you know what? She stopped with last med and these thoughts dissapeared. Lyrica is the name of that. So you have to read what doctors ordered, problema is that if you read all that papers, you are going back to heal  with a chaman- or something like that.

mrclean77

This kills me. All I can find on Dolores O'Riordan is that she had back issues recently. Wonder what happened. I know not all "believe in" or agree with methadone, but I have been a counselor at a clinic for nearly 6 years and seeing music heroes fall to it as well as normal schmoes like me who seem like genuinely nice/good folks, it just sucks.

I was at a conference in October '16 and, although it something that anyone could have already realized, hearing someone say, "...had Prince's handlers had Narcan, he may be alive right now" was a punch to the gut.

I wish I had all the answers or a magic wand, but sadly I'm like a lot of others and have more questions than answers.

blearyeyes

He misused narcotics to stop pain from his fractured hip which turned into a complete break while he finished his tour of 54 dates. He was using the patches which you stick on yourself.  When used properly they are as safe as shooting up H. That is to say they are dangerous and more addictive. They probably gave him pills as well They are used for pain management. This really points out the deadly nature of the current medical epidemic that is killing 150? people a day which is outrageous. I recently completed a personal journey where I was living with a dude that was coming down from being addicted to pain pills and Fentonayl. He was really messed up and it caused brain damage. Totally unacceptable outside of being hospitalized. I don't have an alternative to the issue but something has to be done. Losing Tom was a big deal to me. I hope this will spur some kind of action. If anyone knows of something to get involved in other than just posting online I would love to know.     

peAk

I just dont get it.

I have had all kinds of dental surgies/issues (impacted wisdom teeth, infected root canals, etc.) and I have herniated discs in my lower back that has had me on crutches and bedridden from time to time. ....and I have never had any of my doctors or dentists prescribe me anything other than muscle relaxers and hydrocodone.

It amazes me to see all these people out there getting prescribed oxy, fentanyl, etc.

It's not just the rich and famous either.

I need to find me new doctors, Dammit!

:P

matmosphere

Quote from: peAk on January 24, 2018, 12:04:24 AM
I just dont get it.

I have had all kinds of dental surgies/issues (impacted wisdom teeth, infected root canals, etc.) and I have herniated discs in my lower back that has had me on crutches and bedridden from time to time. ....and I have never had any of my doctors or dentists prescribe me anything other than muscle relaxers and hydrocodone.

It amazes me to see all these people out there getting prescribed oxy, fentanyl, etc.

It's not just the rich and famous either.

I need to find me new doctors, Dammit!

:P

No, you don't. The world needs more doctors like yours.

blearyeyes

BrianS

No, you don't. The world needs more doctors like yours.
[/quote]

Never even considered the truth in your statement.  I have docs that give you Motrin for pain.

stringsthings

A real loss to the music world.  Petty was a fresh voice when he first arrived with the Heartbreakers.
His music was always thoughtful and interesting.

( and I'm very jealous that he got to work with George Harrison )
All You Need Is Love

reddesert

I have a doctor friend who has done admissions for a health clinic that serves a variety of people, including chronically ill, some with addiction problems, etc. She says that quite a few patients report chronic pain problems and are really, really insistent about needing meds. She's a hardass and won't prescribe serious painkillers for nearly any of them. But not every doctor is as capable of telling people no when they are claiming to be in severe pain. I'm sure most doctors can recognize  junkies, but it sounds like these addictions present themselves more insidiously. My friend is not optimistic about the future of many of these people. - And it's very distressing what happened to Prince and Tom Petty. Should have been avoidable.