News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Afterlife vs 4:1

Started by chordball, January 22, 2018, 06:57:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chordball

I'm interested in building one of these two compressors but am undecided on which one. Can any of you offer some insight on the pros and cons of the clean blend option of the 4:1? Thanks!

madbean

There's no real con to having a clean blend....it's simply an "additive" option that can be completely removed by turning the knob down. I guess I'd describe the "pro" as being able to create a more unique compression mix than you would have without a clean through. You can get a lot of compression pumping through without it feeling overdone (as is the case with many one knob compressors)...IOW added sustain without overly-compressed dynamics.

chordball

Quote from: madbean on January 22, 2018, 08:01:43 PM
There's no real con to having a clean blend....it's simply an "additive" option that can be completely removed by turning the knob down. I guess I'd describe the "pro" as being able to create a more unique compression mix than you would have without a clean through. You can get a lot of compression pumping through without it feeling overdone (as is the case with many one knob compressors)...IOW added sustain without overly-compressed dynamics.

Thanks for the help Brian. I wasn't sure if/how the added circuitry would change the feel if the clean was dialed completely out. I'm leaning towards the 4:1.

BryGuy

I really dig my 4:1. Built it up over the fall and it's been on my bass pedal board ever since.

gordo

Best compressor I own (4:1).  Clean blend is the game changer.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

Boba7

Yes, the 4:1 is AMAZING.

I've built a lot of compressors, inclusing the Afterlife and the Diamond comp, and the 4:1 is my favorite, by far.

chordball