News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

JHS Bonsai...Any comments?

Started by fair.child, January 23, 2018, 07:51:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fair.child

I just saw the demo on YouTube. It seems JHS trying to make move this year. Though IMO it sounds similar, this has been the most interesting ever been in a JHS pedal.

Despite the issue with Josh in past, what do you guys think?

somnif

Interesting, I wonder what the rotary is actually doing. Some of those circuit variants vary in very different ways. The TS-10's changes were all in the switching circuit, the MSL had some cap values changed, the TS-9's changes were resistors on the output buffer, the OD-1 used different op-amps, etc etc etc.

Either its like a 15P9T switch, or there is some trickery at work.

fair.child

I am interested to see what's inside

matmosphere

It's probably digital switching like in the muffuletta. I don't think you could make that many different value changes with a single mechanical switch.

somnif

Quote from: Matmosphere on January 23, 2018, 09:43:23 PM
It's probably digital switching like in the muffuletta. I don't think you could make that many different value changes with a single mechanical switch.

Yeah I just became aware of that circuit, I'd bet its the same deal. Rotary tickles a digital brain to switch things around. I wonder just how faithful to the various circuits they'll actually be, or if like with the muffuletta they'll make the modes more "idealized" versions of them.

fair.child

Muffuletta inside

Couple FV-1 chips suspected

somnif

They aren't FV-1s (it just delay related stuff), but they are some manner of digital wizardry related to switching. But the JHS staff has said that all the circuit components are discrete on the board, and the digital stuff is just related to switching several components around for each setting.

jubal81

He must be making a fortune on those. I wonder if any of the work is done in the USA.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

somnif

Quote from: jubal81 on January 23, 2018, 11:21:09 PM
He must be making a fortune on those. I wonder if any of the work is done in the USA.

According to their website 100% of pcb population is done in the states. No idea if there is any doublespeak in that, but that is what they say.

jubal81

Quote from: somnif on January 23, 2018, 11:30:11 PM

According to their website 100% of pcb population is done in the states. No idea if there is any doublespeak in that, but that is what they say.

Probably use the same manufacturing business as Wampler and others. They can do the whole thing soup-to-nuts if you have the money and a schematic. Just an eye roller that they'd design it like a $30 Joyo or whatever.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

fair.child

Quote from: jubal81 on January 23, 2018, 11:55:55 PM

Probably use the same manufacturing business as Wampler and others. They can do the whole thing soup-to-nuts if you have the money and a schematic. Just an eye roller that they'd design it like a $30 Joyo or whatever.

Did you mean send it over to China? I am just guessing though

pickdropper

Quote from: jubal81 on January 23, 2018, 11:55:55 PM

I have no idea where these are actually made, but Josh has made reference in the past to them owning their own in-house SMT equipment.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

EBK

While the $229 price seems generally reasonable for its capabilities and complexity, I would have to imagine this pedal wouldn't get a lot of mode switching in any practical setup.  I'm guessing everyone would have one or two favorites and leave the rest unused.  In that context, this would be great to demo, but impractical to own, in my opinion.  On the other end of the spectrum, I would imagine someone who is obsessed with the history of Tubescreamers would rather own a collection of vintage pedals.  In short, I can imagine that they will sell a ton of these, but I'm not sure who will keep them.
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

matmosphere

Quote from: EBK on January 24, 2018, 05:13:03 AM
While the $229 price seems generally reasonable for its capabilities and complexity, I would have to imagine this pedal wouldn't get a lot of mode switching in any practical setup.  I'm guessing everyone would have one or two favorites and leave the rest unused.  In that context, this would be great to demo, but impractical to own, in my opinion.  On the other end of the spectrum, I would imagine someone who is obsessed with the history of Tubescreamers would rather own a collection of vintage pedals.  In short, I can imagine that they will sell a ton of these, but I'm not sure who will keep them.

The market for this type of thing is people who play at home and like to tweak stuff. In my experience musicians who are gigging generally keep all there pedals on the same settings the majority of the time. This would be a great pedal for bands that like to have 5-10 minutes between songs!

Not that this isn't a neat idea but, if I were buying some type of tubescreamer I'd probably save a few bucks and pick up the EQD Palisades instead, or save more and by that tubescreamer mini.

madbean

Don't really care about the actual pedal but I sure like the idea of the switching!