News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

JHS Bonsai...Any comments?

Started by fair.child, January 24, 2018, 03:51:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aleph Null

Quote from: Matmosphere on January 24, 2018, 02:01:41 PM
The market for this type of thing is people who play at home and like to tweak stuff. In my experience musicians who are gigging generally keep all there pedals on the same settings the majority of the time. This would be a great pedal for bands that like to have 5-10 minutes between songs!

Not that this isn't a neat idea but, if I were buying some type of tubescreamer I'd probably save a few bucks and pick up the EQD Palisades instead, or save more and by that tubescreamer mini.

I could also see it being used as a studio tool, where there's more time and motivation to dial in the perfect tone. But again, something like the Palisades would probably work better in that context too.

jimilee

Quote from: madbean on January 24, 2018, 02:30:00 PM
Don't really care about the actual pedal but I sure like the idea of the switching!
Right there with you. More attractive in the muff I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

matmosphere

Quote from: jimilee on January 24, 2018, 05:13:46 PM
Quote from: madbean on January 24, 2018, 02:30:00 PM
Don't really care about the actual pedal but I sure like the idea of the switching!
Right there with you. More attractive in the muff I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree, the muff is more appealing. There is just a great tonal difference between different muffs than there is in TS's

reddesert

Quote from: fair.child on January 24, 2018, 08:38:21 AM
Quote from: jubal81 on January 24, 2018, 07:55:55 AM

Probably use the same manufacturing business as Wampler and others. They can do the whole thing soup-to-nuts if you have the money and a schematic. Just an eye roller that they'd design it like a $30 Joyo or whatever.

Did you mean send it over to China? I am just guessing though

I believe there are a lot of contract assembly places in the US that you can pay to have your design fabbed, assembled, and soldered, if you don't own your own pick and place machine (since the machines are expensive, it makes sense to job it out rather than buy if you aren't going to run the machine full time).

Or, you could decide that getting a 3D printer is old hat, and go straight to assembling your own pick and place protoype machine: https://www.liteplacer.com/, http://visionbot.net/.

pickdropper

Quote from: reddesert on January 24, 2018, 10:10:56 PM
Quote from: fair.child on January 24, 2018, 08:38:21 AM
Quote from: jubal81 on January 24, 2018, 07:55:55 AM

Probably use the same manufacturing business as Wampler and others. They can do the whole thing soup-to-nuts if you have the money and a schematic. Just an eye roller that they'd design it like a $30 Joyo or whatever.

Did you mean send it over to China? I am just guessing though

I believe there are a lot of contract assembly places in the US that you can pay to have your design fabbed, assembled, and soldered, if you don't own your own pick and place machine (since the machines are expensive, it makes sense to job it out rather than buy if you aren't going to run the machine full time).

Or, you could decide that getting a 3D printer is old hat, and go straight to assembling your own pick and place protoype machine: https://www.liteplacer.com/, http://visionbot.net/.

There are many places that will run boards in the US, either SMT or TH.  Generally, the parts placement is a bit higher on TH, but the overall cost isn't wildly different.  Sometimes, SMT simply makes sense if you are trying to fit a lot of parts into a reasonable sized footprint (although that doesn't seem to be what's going on with the TS pedal).
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

alanp

Quote from: pickdropper on January 24, 2018, 10:40:21 PM
There are many places that will run boards in the US, either SMT or TH.  Generally, the parts placement is a bit higher on TH, but the overall cost isn't wildly different.  Sometimes, SMT simply makes sense if you are trying to fit a lot of parts into a reasonable sized footprint (although that doesn't seem to be what's going on with the TS pedal).

One idea I'm turning over in my head is a functional copy of the Buchla Spectral Processor -- a 16 band filter bank, with envelope follower and a VCA on every damn channel. (With some creative patching, this means you get a 16 band vocoder!)

Actually soldering that much crap is a big pile of "nope", so if I actually design something, that's probably when I'll start to look into PCB-A (that's what it's called?)
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

pickdropper

Quote from: alanp on January 25, 2018, 03:40:36 AM
Quote from: pickdropper on January 24, 2018, 10:40:21 PM

One idea I'm turning over in my head is a functional copy of the Buchla Spectral Processor -- a 16 band filter bank, with envelope follower and a VCA on every damn channel. (With some creative patching, this means you get a 16 band vocoder!)

Actually soldering that much crap is a big pile of "nope", so if I actually design something, that's probably when I'll start to look into PCB-A (that's what it's called?)

I've always referred to a PCBA as an assembled PCB, but perhaps others refer to it differently.

But it's all semantics, we get what you are saying.  You are looking at contracting out the assembly for the first time.  What kinds of quantities are you looking to do?
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

alanp

Dunno. The current plan is to do a proof-of-concept 4 band board to test the concept, first, before I look into craziness.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

blearyeyes

thesmokingman

when I first got my hands on a newer jhs pedal and cracked it open, the smd looked subbed out from asia and the final assembly soldering looked like it was slopped together in missouri by ozark mountain brush apes ... now I'm not going to argue with a known liar like jhs about where the work gets done, but it isn't getting done at company headquarters and there's literally no advantage in holding your source as some sort of secret when it could be a selling point if it actually gets done stateside.
once upon a time I was Tornado Alley FX

Aleph Null

Rockhorst

Three remarks:

How much does he pay Keeley to use his logo?
A JHS graphic that I actually like and looks clever
A sophisticated JATS is still a JATS...though that metal screamer sounds nicely phat and phuzzy...