News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

KOT -type double-pedal order and mod question

Started by MarkL, January 26, 2018, 07:56:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkL

I'm about to build up a K*ng of T*ne project, and I want to have one of the channels as high gain.  But I've never been clear about which side that channel should be...that is, should the standard gain side feed the high gain side, or vice versa?  What do YOU prefer, and why?

Also -- I was perusing another forum, and someone suggested what seemed like a useful mod: changing the 10K resistor in the IC1 feedback loop to 56K, and then using a 50K drive pot.  According to the poster, this yielded a far more useful drive control where the entire sweep of the pot functions essentially like the final 1/2 of the normal drive control, yielding useful OD in every position from low to high.  I'd like to adapt this for the high-gain side of the pedal as well...in that case, would I:

1) keep the 56K resistor substitution in place and just use a 100K drive pot (as opposed to the 250K pot in the "usual" high gain channel of this pedal)?  or, if this leaves me with *less* drive than the 250K pot would provide...

2) keep the 56K in place and use the 250K drive pot?  Or...

3) up the 56K to something a bit higher and use the 250K drive pot?

My understanding is that the 56K sets the minimum drive amount, and then higher pot value would then add to that.   So -- and please correct me if I'm wrong -- keeping the 56K would keep the same minimum drive level irrespective of the highest level of drive set by the value of the drive pot...