News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Runoffgroove Thunderbird: Jimmy Page's White Dragon Suit

Started by mcasemo, January 27, 2018, 09:01:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mcasemo

I made some PCBs for the ROG Thunderbird, being legit and following Brian Tremblay's licensing agreement (think i might sell a few).  I tried to follow good layout technique, but to be honest, all i know is to try to keep the power separate from the signal, then after a while of routing, that is out the door (I think i ran the Vcc right under one of the voltage diodes). 

First build sounded amazing, but had a high pitch noise, and the white noise was too much.  Tried shielding and that did not work, finally figured out I have bad batch of LT1054's (ebay) (5 KHz switching freq) and once i found a good charge pump, it was much more quiet.    I'm going to avoid charge pumps for a while, struggling with bad ones in a few other builds (although TC1044SPCA's at mouser are like $1 right now).

Anyway, this thing sounds awesome, and super loud.   Octagon enclosure, water slide decal, graphic I got from a "one sixth warrior" forum, a guy in korea made a 1/6 scale jimmy page with this suit and I found his suit graphic.  I wish i could still find the photos of it, it was insane, little Jimmy with little LP and pedal.  I'm trying to pay him as well if I sell them, but he's not responding.

matmosphere

The pics aren't working, but it certainly sounds like a great build.

mcasemo

ah crap!   stupid google photos.  I hope it's working now.  I'm signed out of google and can see them.

HamSandwich

Nice! Cool design. But are you also going to pay Jimmy Page for using his name?  ;D

Is the wiring complete? There's a jumper to that middle row, assuming you just haven't wired up the LED?

jimilee

That's fantastic looking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Philthy

stringsthings

That's some incredible attention to detail.  Well done!

It is a very loud circuit.
All You Need Is Love

mcasemo

Haha, i should try!   Yeah, I had not put in the led yet.

Quote from: HamSandwich on January 28, 2018, 07:50:12 AM
Nice! Cool design. But are you also going to pay Jimmy Page for using his name?  ;D

Is the wiring complete? There's a jumper to that middle row, assuming you just haven't wired up the LED?

tcpoint

Juansolo did something cool with a noisegate on a thunderbird build.  The thunderbird is notoriously noisy.

TheDude

Just loving the artwork here. Great job!!!

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk

The dude abides