News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Chroal Reef Noise

Started by Aentons, February 01, 2018, 06:05:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aentons

I built the Choral Reef and it sounds pretty good. I know there is some hiss associated with longer delay times. When my Width knob goes past noon the hiss starts and then seems to go past acceptable at about 3oclock. At that point the hiss is too loud and there is also slightly audible oscillation, especially the more the feedback is cranked. Is this considered normal or has anybody else had the same experience?

bsoncini

I have built 2 of these. I only had noise when the switch was in left position (I think maybe it is the right) and the width pot was  past 1 o'clock. Other than that they were pretty quiet. I am using a decent power supply also. Have you tried a battery or another power supply

Aentons

You are correct and I forgot to mention that detail... It's really only on the longest delay times when the switch is to the left. I have not tried it on a battery but I am on a PedalPower2+. Don't get me wrong, the noise is manageable, I just wanted to making sure the levelnof it was by design. Glad to hear I am not alone

bsoncini

As the build doc says. The width to the right makes the delay time longer, with more noise. And the switch to the left adds even more delay time. So again more noise with the width to the right.

That setting is cool though. Like a weird reverby echo thing. Even with the width farther down.

Aentons

Sure, thanks. I was just hoping to define the line between expected noise and excessive noise and whether either of those included the oscillation sounds rather than just hiss.

Aentons

Another thing I have noticed is the modulation doesn't seem to be a sine wave but more squarish... It goes up quick, it stays up for a while, it goes down quick, it stays down for a while, repeat

Anybody else notice this?

bsoncini

Quote from: Aentons on February 02, 2018, 07:26:33 PM
Another thing I have noticed is the modulation doesn't seem to be a sine wave but more squarish... It goes up quick, it stays up for a while, it goes down quick, it stays down for a while, repeat

Anybody else notice this?

I had some free time and the pedal still open.  Put the scope to the lfo

Aentons