News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

General Op-Amp question

Started by PhiloB, February 04, 2018, 05:51:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EBK

Quote from: blearyeyes on February 05, 2018, 02:47:58 AM
I need to get an overview of the principles to fit into my poor ADHD addled brain first.
That's why I used the word "magic" in my explanation.  ;) 
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

PhiloB

Reddesert, thank you for the in depth explanation.  I have a better understanding but will check the link and reread later tonight.
But what I understand, if I remove the op amp from the socket and probe on the "right side" of r5 I'd hear audio.  This also explains why it sounded like PIN6 was "grounding out" somewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

reddesert

A picture, as always, is worth a thousand words written while tired, so here is an example drawing of what goes on in this circuit.  I've drawn it as if the first op-amp is outputting a +/- 1V ac signal wave, and labeled the voltages and the current flow through the resistors. The two drawings are similar but one is for the trough of the wave , and the other is for the crest of the wave, so you can see how the output signal varies and the voltages change, but the voltage at the inverting op-amp does not change. The direction of current flow changes, as the voltage drops across R5 and R6 change. (The "v" and "^" in the current label are just my attempt to show the direction of current flow, because I don't know how to draw an arrow in Eagle.)