News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

PPP stocked enclosures

Started by gtr2, September 21, 2011, 07:04:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gtr2

It's nice to see pedal parts plus carrying some stocked powder coated enclosures now.  The selection isn't huge but it will be a great alternative to waiting a couple weeks for their enclosures.  In my opinion they have the best quality control.  Just my two cents and I thought I'd pass on the info.

Josh

1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

k.rock!

Oh man! Finally! I love PPP...but my only beef is how long they take to ship your enclosure. Their quality is the best though, so it's always worth the wait, but man, now it will be so much easier for us to get something quick. Thanks for the headsup Josh!

-Kaleb
God bless!
www.kalebromero.com

dwstanford

Yeah!  Thats great.  They definitely have the best enclosures and great prices.  Ive ordered from virtually every source and they do the best job hands down.

jimmybjj

I know it seems like a silly question but what deficiencies are you guys finding with the other powdercoated boxes? Uneven coverage, orange peel?
Pcbs no longer available

thetrend77

Quote from: jimmybjj on September 21, 2011, 11:51:38 AM
I know it seems like a silly question but what deficiencies are you guys finding with the other powdercoated boxes? Uneven coverage, orange peel?

I don't think the issue is that there's something wrong with them, but it's that you can get them faster now that they're in stock.

jimmybjj

The op said the "quality control" is better and I have heard that several times. The consensus is ppp is a better product, I'm just wondering why or how it is better.
Pcbs no longer available

thetrend77

Well, I know that when you order a painted enclosure (before they had prepainted ones), they're "made to order" I guess you would say. They powder coat them once they get the order in. So I guess that adds to the QC moreso than just grabbing a random enclosure from the already painted section.

I hope that makes sense lol I've been sick so I might just be rambling...

crash

Quote from: jimmybjj on September 21, 2011, 11:51:38 AM

This.

From the large hairy elephant place.  All my PPP enclosures are perfect.  Will buy the rest of mine from PPP.

Bonus question: can you guess what pedal it is just based on the picture?  Should be pretty obvious.

[attachment deleted by admin]

slimtriggers

Quote from: crash on September 21, 2011, 05:14:21 PM
Bonus question: can you guess what pedal it is just based on the picture?  Should be pretty obvious.

LaVache (Les Lius)?

petesz

Yeah my painted enclosures from large hairy elephant place had scratches all over them :(

aziltz

FWIW, i hear they have a CNC now for drilling, and it sounds like they are drilling before powder coating (at least for my order).

jimmybjj

Quote from: crash on September 21, 2011, 05:14:21 PM

From the large hairy elephant place.  All my PPP enclosures are perfect.  Will buy the rest of mine from PPP.

haha, large hairy elephant place. Thats really crappy, i can't believe they let something like that leave the store. I would be embarrassed.
Pcbs no longer available

dwstanford

Small bear does a pretty decent job powder coating, but they dont have many colors.  Their 5 dollar 1590BB seconds are actually better than many of the mammoths at full price.  PPP just has a better color selection and better prices.  The enclosures ive ordered from mammoth were all 125B's and the enclosures themselves were a great price, but cheaply made.  The bottom plates didnt line up exactly right and the screws had a hard time fitting.  They still function, but for fifty cents more, i couldve had a much better one from PPP.  The powder coating jobs were not very good either, but that didnt really bother me as much. 

jkokura

Quote from: dwstanford on September 21, 2011, 09:00:48 PM
Small bear does a pretty decent job powder coating, but they dont have many colors.  Their 5 dollar 1590BB seconds are actually better than many of the mammoths at full price.  PPP just has a better color selection and better prices.  The enclosures ive ordered from mammoth were all 125B's and the enclosures themselves were a great price, but cheaply made.  The bottom plates didnt line up exactly right and the screws had a hard time fitting.  They still function, but for fifty cents more, i couldve had a much better one from PPP.  The powder coating jobs were not very good either, but that didnt really bother me as much. 

The Smallbear ones come prepowder coated from Hammond. If you check Hammond's website you can see them in their catalog.

Pedal Parts Plus does theirs in house, and that's why they have such a great variety of colour options in all their enclosures. Because they do them in house you can get any of their in stock enclosures in any of their colours, which I really like a lot. It's mostly why I almost exclusively use PPP. Their quality control hasn't always been perfect for me, but their supreme customer service has made me a loyal customer. One thing I really appreciate from them is the 125BB they have going. That 125BB is super awesome, but I think it's mostly Steve at Smallbear's doing. Smallbear is super awesome as well.

Mammoth does not paint their enclosures in house (AFAIK). If you check the 4site website you can find all the enclosures there too. It's also part of the reason why different size enclosures have different colour options. I have had good experiences with those enclosures, but because of the limited colour selection I haven't had need to go there.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

aziltz

i've used mammoth for their 1590A painted boxes and they've all come out great and it was quicker than PPP because it was all prepainted.