News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Did you know

Started by jimilee, February 04, 2018, 03:49:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimilee

I went to the guitar museum here in town again yesterday. I didn't realize Gibson didn't make any single cutaways after '61 and started again in '68. Am I the only one that didn't realize this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

somnif

Ah yes, the mythical '65 Les Paul, it has popped up in many a tall tale.

matmosphere

I know that in 61 the they branded the SG as a Les Paul and Les Paul absolutely hated them and refused to play them.

jimilee

Quote from: Matmosphere on February 04, 2018, 04:09:20 PM
I know that in 61 the they branded the SG as a Les Paul and Les Paul absolutely hated them and refused to play them.
Yep, got out of his contract in'62 I think and his name was taken off of them.

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

HamSandwich

The sunburst model (was it a standard?) flopped, so they shut er down. Then Keith Richards and Clapton started using mid 60's and the rest of em late 60's. I don't think Gibson has stopped producing them since then have they?

jimilee

I know originally, according to every, they only made about 1500 of them. They were hard to come by new in the 60s. Even Clapton got his used.

blearyeyes

I had an awesome 65 single uh.

pickdropper

Didn't he make them stop putting his name on the SG?  There was a Gap between the end of the SG as Les Paul and the single cut LP shape.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

jimilee

Quote from: pickdropper on February 04, 2018, 05:13:49 PM

Didn't he make them stop putting his name on the SG?  There was a Gap between the end of the SG as Les Paul and the single cut LP shape.
Yep, he left Gibson and seems like he sued or something like that to get out of his contract with them.

gordo

Running gag with bursts is that between 58-60 about 1400 were made and today less than 2000 of them still exist.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

pickdropper

Quote from: gordo on February 05, 2018, 07:43:53 AM
Running gag with bursts is that between 58-60 about 1400 were made and today less than 2000 of them still exist.

The fakes do seem to be getting better.  Scary prospect if one is spending $250k+
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

Adam_DIY

Quote from: pickdropper on February 05, 2018, 08:28:25 AM
Quote from: gordo on February 05, 2018, 07:43:53 AM

The fakes do seem to be getting better.  Scary prospect if one is spending $250k+

I only wish I had $250k+ to spend on a guitar. 

lars

Quote from: Adam_MD on February 05, 2018, 09:59:33 AM
I only wish I had $250k+ to spend on a guitar.
I only wish I even had $250 to spend on a guitar.
Yep. I clicked the, "continue without supporting us" link....