News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Custom Ear Plugs?

Started by Timko, February 06, 2018, 11:53:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timko

I'm soon to be leaving my mid 30's, and have been doing more proactive stuff for my health as I quickly realize my body isn't invincible.  One of those things was visiting an audiologist.  While my hearing is pretty solid, there is a distinct notch in the higher frequencies.  My doctor told me it was most likely due to the number of concerts I've been to over the past 20 years.  One of my new year's resolutions was investing in some good custom molded ear plugs, so I also had ear molds taken today.  So now I'm on the hunt for exactly what ear plug I plan to buy.  My audiologist offers Westone plugs, which appear to be quite popular among doctors.  While they offered me the Tru line, I also see the ES49's are popular for musicians.  On the other hand, I have a sound engineer that has a pair of ER series. 

Since I obviously can't try out different custom molded plugs, I was curious if anyone here has a pair, and what they happen to think of them.  I'd be open to other brands too, but these seem to be the ones that show up the most consistently. 

Ralfg

I have a set of Westone Tru earplugs. I'm using the 10 filters. They are awesome. It does take a bit to get used to, but so worth it. I play in 2 bands, one not so loud where I sometimes don't wear them, the other where I absolutely need them. I think I am going to upgrade the filters to a higher rating because I don't think the 10s are enough. For this group. The 10s are great though for going to live shows to see bands. My drummer I think has the 20s (not sure on the exact number as i think they changed their rating since I got them) and he thinks they are a bit too much. I used to play with a bassist that used a different brand. From what I understand the brand doesn't matter so much. It's more just to have them, and that they are in ear, so they are comfortable and protect your hearing. With the Westone you can easily change out the filters, so if you can afford it, get multiples and choose the best one for your situation.

Hope this helps, and good call on protecting your hearing. Wish I did this years ago.
Dr. Von Fuzzbrauer @ Rocket Surgeon Effects Pedals
https://www.smallspacesband.com/

midwayfair

I like my etymotic molded plugs a lot, there are plenty like them. You do need an audiologist to make the mild.

pickdropper

Well, I work for ER so I'm biased, but I'd be happy to give you a biased recommendation if you'd like.  ;-)
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

GrindCustoms

Quote from: pickdropper on February 07, 2018, 03:07:17 AM
Well, I work for ER so I'm biased, but I'd be happy to give you a biased recommendation if you'd like.  ;-)

Biased recommendations, biased until you've actually tried them... ...ER products are awesome, love my ear buds!
Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

Max

Etymotic here as well. I use(d) them in rehearsal and being a drummer they definitely improved my life. If I remember correctly I have the -15dB filters, which I would recommend also for concerts.
My last bassist had them as well.
I would say, if you look for quality products you'll never regret it, really well spent money. It's incredible how much impact acoustic fatigue can have.

Timko

That's the company that makes the filters, correct?  Don't both Westone and Senaphonics have units that support their filters?  Does ER also make custom molded plugs?  If so, how much do they cost, and do they have any advantages over the other custom mold companies?

Bias away; I'm looking for all of the feedback I can find, and all my musician friends are quickly going deaf (i.e. they don't use ear plugs).

pickdropper

Quote from: Timko on February 07, 2018, 03:36:02 PM

That's the company that makes the filters, correct?  Don't both Westone and Senaphonics have units that support their filters?  Does ER also make custom molded plugs?  If so, how much do they cost, and do they have any advantages over the other custom mold companies?

Bias away; I'm looking for all of the feedback I can find, and all my musician friends are quickly going deaf (i.e. they don't use ear plugs).

Yep, ER makes the filter and various earnold labs will make the custom earnolds to go with them.  Sensaphonics actually made me my first set of molds (before I worked for ER).  They are good people.

Anyway, here comes the bias: there are a few different filter options but many of them just use a simple acoustic resistor, which will attenuate the sound, but it's not quite as linear in frequency response.  No hi-fi earplug is absolutely perfect, but we've not measured one that's more linear across all frequencies.  This is good for a musician's earplug as the music still sounds like music.  For other applications (machine shop, shooting, etc) you may want a foam earplug which offers max protection but attenuated significantly more in the high frequency range.
Function f(x)

Timko

Thanks for all of the responses!  I believe I'm going to go with the Westone's from my audiologist.  Hopefully it's something I'll look back on 20 years from now and really thank myself for doing.

AllenM

So if I wanted to get into some plugs but I am not ready for custom molded yet would the ER-20xs be my best bet?

AllenM

Timko

I changed my mind at the last minute and decided to go with these:

https://www.sensaphonics.com/er-series-musician-earplugs-custom/

The audiologist who took these molds is also a musician, and she prefers the plastic of Senaphonics.  They should be here in a couple of weeks; I'll let you know how they turn out.

pickdropper

Quote from: AllenM on February 08, 2018, 06:49:27 PM
So if I wanted to get into some plugs but I am not ready for custom molded yet would the ER-20xs be my best bet?

AllenM

The ER-20XS or the ER-20 would work.  The ER-20XS doesn't stick out quite as much and the top model gives different eartips to use, but both will work just fine for the intended purpose.

The most important thing is to protect your ears.
Function f(x)

pickdropper

Quote from: Timko on February 08, 2018, 07:20:17 PM
I changed my mind at the last minute and decided to go with these:

https://www.sensaphonics.com/er-series-musician-earplugs-custom/

The audiologist who took these molds is also a musician, and she prefers the plastic of Senaphonics.  They should be here in a couple of weeks; I'll let you know how they turn out.

Excellent.  I hope you like them.
Function f(x)