News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Hey Martin pickers

Started by TNblueshawk, February 09, 2018, 08:02:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TNblueshawk

So, I'm thinking about dipping a toe or maybe my foots into the Martin pool. Admittedly I'm not schooled on what I'm looking for other than to say I don't have the longest fingers (hey hey, I have big feet now) and I like smaller body guitars.

In summary, what thoughts might one have with respect to a good Martin, small body, cut away (acoustic/electric, or not)?

I'm guessing someone might be wondering what a price point might be. Let me give a range of $1,500-2,500 for starters.

Thanks for any input you might have. I'm just starting the hunt.
John

EBK

Buy one made with East Indian Rosewood sides and back, if you can.  It smells amazing, sounds amazing, and recently, some stricter import controls have been in the works (to help stop illegal trade in relabeled Brazilian Rosewood). 

I own a Martin HD-28, which I paid about $2200 for, brand new.  You should be able to get a very very nice smaller body guitar in your price range.  Make sure to ask the dealer for their "best price" on the model you are interested in.  A reputable dealer should quote you something around half of the retail price, plus a reasonable profit margin.
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

Timko

Single or double 0's would probably be best for you.  If you want a strummer, but don't want a full size dreadnaught, a 000 will fit you nicely.  The biggest categories you'll find in the Martins in terms of wood would be a all mahogany body, spruce with mahogany back/sides, and spruce with rosewood back/sides.  There have been novels written about what those wood combos may or may not do to your sound.

As EBK said before me, talk to a store about the price.  Nearly all Martins can be gotten well under their sticker price.  Someone may have had a different experience than me, but stick away from their guitars with composite necks.  They're quite heavy on not particularly well balanced.  However, in the price range you listed you'll be dealing with solid woods.

EBK

By the way, I bought my Martin through these guys:
https://www.maurysmusic.com

I highly recommend them.
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

TNblueshawk

Thanks for the info and suggestions guys. Let the fun begin.
John

brucer

I picked up a GPCPA4 because I was also looking for a higher quality, smaller body acoustic with a cutaway for upper fret work and it was both well-reviewed and in my price range.  It's a very nice guitar, but as Timko noted you should stay away from their composite bridges and fretboards if your budget allows.  My go-to luthier hates them.  He says that they're hard and brittle, so VERY difficult to shape if that's required to improve playability and/or intonation (e.g. rolling the fretboard edge, replacing the bridge saddle, etc.).  My experience only, of course.

TNblueshawk

Quote from: brucer on February 13, 2018, 12:52:18 AM
I picked up a GPCPA4 because I was also looking for a higher quality, smaller body acoustic with a cutaway for upper fret work and it was both well-reviewed and in my price range.  It's a very nice guitar, but as Timko noted you should stay away from their composite bridges and fretboards if your budget allows.  My go-to luthier hates them.  He says that they're hard and brittle, so VERY difficult to shape if that's required to improve playability and/or intonation (e.g. rolling the fretboard edge, replacing the bridge saddle, etc.).  My experience only, of course.

Thanks for the info Bruce. I will add this to my list of potentials.
John