News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Help! Hakko FX-888d owners

Started by dan.schumaker, February 12, 2018, 05:01:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dan.schumaker

I need a little bit of help from owners of the Hakko FX-888d (I know there are more than a few here).

Doing my daily bit of soldering last night, I started getting the S-E error on my machine.  Anybody else get this before?  I am thinking I need to replace the whole handle assembly.  Anybody run into this before and can give suggestions?

THanks

EBK

First, try unplugging the iron from the controller, then plugging it back in.  Could just be a loose connection at the plug.

Also, remove and reinsert the iron tip.
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

dan.schumaker

Thanks for the suggestion.  I did try that a few times last night, still getting the error.

tcpoint

I found this - it's for the hakko fx-952 but the error code is the same so it's probably applicable.  It looks like it has extensive troubleshooting info.
https://www.hakko.com/english/maintenance/topic_fx952_use_1.html
This general link might be useful, as well.  https://www.hakko.com/english/maintenance/maintenance_soldering_iron.html

gordo

I honestly don't recall my iron coming with a manual (and of course I wouldn't read it anyway) but check out page 11 for the testing procedures to see if the element is borked.

www.gordomusic.com/Madbean/Hakko Edit.pdf
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

dan.schumaker

Thanks for the links guys.  I already have a handle replacement in my amazon cart ready to go.  I am going to check resistances when I get home, and hopefully a little sanding and taking care of some oxidation will solve my problem!  If not, I'm down for (hopefully) 2 days and back ready to go.

blearyeyes

I'd be bummed if by iron went down!

dan.schumaker

Checked the resistances last night, heating element seemed fine, but the sensor was out (hence the S-E error).  I tried taking the iron apart, but could not un-thread the handle from the heating element to look at the board, so I took some vice grips and started to turn.... and it broke.  So I have a new handle assembly on its way.

Thanks for the help guys!