News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Zirc Jr Build

Started by gordo, February 12, 2018, 07:14:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gordo

I got this from Lectric-FX recently and then waited impatiently while I repeatedly buggered up a few parts orders.  I kept forgetting to get B100k pots.  This one also uses a L-FX 3PDT board, which makes for nice clean guts.

Anyway, killer compressor with a bit more "effect" on tap than most opticals and a lot more available output.  The jury is out on the lack of clean blend but I won't know till I get it on my live rig.  I also made the Hi-Cut switchable externally.  It's very subtle but adds a nice bit of jangle regardless of the EQ setting.  With Hi-Cut off and EQ and Sustain at about 2 o'clock the level of detail and shimmer on my Music Man guitar is just sick.

The enclosure started as a PIF from Soup39.  I got a 1590G enclosure and was blown away by how cool it looked.  I wanted to box up this 1590B project in something a bit out of the norm for me so I cruised over to Soup's Etsy store and found this enclosure.  The photos do it no justice at all, it's just gorgeous with insane amounts of tiny details.  It goes around the enclosure 360 with no break in the pattern.  I have no idea how that's done, but it's going to kill me to put velcro on the bottom...

Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

Adam_DIY

Wow that looks great lovely clean guts and I love the enclosure.  I didn't know anyone was selling anything like that on etsy...  immediately rushes off to look at etsy  ;D

Soup39

Looks terrific,  Gordo!  I really like your choice of knobs, the black really pulls out the little bit of black that's in the swirl.
Thanks for the mention also,  ;).

blearyeyes

Great job on the build looks great!

After adding the Zirconia I have a hard time playing without it.

mrclean77

That's sharp! Diggin' the knobs, the enclosure (of course) and the imposing electrolytic. Small suggestion would be snag a plain bottom plate from Small Bear (I still think it's really cool he sells these separately) for velcro, then if you ever wanna part with it or affix your pedals in a different manner, you have the virgin, swirly bottom plate on standby.

gordo

That's a GREAT idea!  The 220uF looks like I tried to solder in a golf ball.  It was the only 220 I had that was rated for more than 16v so I rolled with it.
Gordy Power

Haberdasher

Hey Gordo, Great job!  Nice to see one of these in the wild.
I guess that's a dip design on the enclosure.  So cool looking, I wish I knew how to do that.
I don't know what everyone else has, but I use these 220uF caps in most things.  They are 6.3mm x 11mm, not too bad.
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

gordo

That's closer to what I'd normally use but the cupboard was bare...  I figured I could replace it if the lid didn't close.

I really like the comp.  I've been playing it in front of a tweed champ clone I built ages ago while it's on the bench and it just sounds sick.  Those little tiny Taiway switches from BLMS are great when you need to stuff a switch under a pot mounted board.
Gordy Power

gordo

I got the pedal on my live rig this morning and whoa, sounds really nice.  The lack of clean blend is offset by the eq and the with the hi-cut switch off it's very "ping-y" sounding without being the least bit harsh and not squashed sounding at all.  My initial settings of 2 o'clock on all controls worked really well in a live setting (which is where most comps fall apart...in my room they sound great).  I got my Bonnie Raitt on with the comp and the VFE Old School trem.  I'm a crappy slide player but I certainly nailed the tone.
Gordy Power

Boba7

This is really beautiful, and Im not a fan of this kind of painted enclosure in general. Glad you enjoy it, it's definitely a super nice circuit!