News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Caution: gruesome guts of first pedal thread.

Started by blearyeyes, February 13, 2018, 01:53:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blearyeyes

Oh the humanity!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blearyeyes

It actually works. Hehe. I opened this up and marveled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chromesphere

Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

blearyeyes

It's a Tonepad Guv'nor. I replaced the metal DC jack! Man that's so funny. Metal DC jacks are a right of passage I guess. SMH.

EBK

My first pedal was a very elaborate kill switch.  It had an envelope follower made with some sort of FET, a state variable filter, and probably a buffer.  It worked perfectly, producing a very believable approximation of silence.  It probably had a bit of noise, but nothing too distracting.   :P 

I never got a picture of it though, that I know of, anyway.  Those were the days of film, where you forgot what you took pictures of by the time you finished the roll, and sometimes you forgot where the finished roll went before you could take it to the store to be developed.
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

GrindCustoms

My first built was a BYOC "Confidence Booster", i still have the circuit and it's working but.. ..the box was a total mess, my drilling template was more than off. Probably have some pictures somewhere, will try to find that!

Quote from: EBK on February 13, 2018, 04:00:59 AM
My first pedal was a very elaborate kill switch.  It had an envelope follower made with some sort of FET, a state variable filter, and probably a buffer.  It worked perfectly, producing a very believable approximation of silence.  It probably had a bit of noise, but nothing too distracting.   :P 

I never got a picture of it though, that I know of, anyway.  Those were the days of film, where you forgot what you took pictures of by the time you finished the roll, and sometimes you forgot where the finished roll went before you could take it to the store to be developed.

Why did'nt you just run the signal to ground? ...i mean... ...why?... ..you got me mesmerized with that complexity of a kill switch! lolol
Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

GrindCustoms

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

Govmnt_Lacky

I dove into the deep end. First build was a Sansamp GT2  :o

Didn't work and I spent about 2 weeks debugging. Turned out, the board from Tonepad was faulty and there was a broken trace under the masking. Hey, at least I got a lot of experience.

Still remember the feeling of when it first fired up! Hooked instantly!!

EBK

Quote from: GrindCustoms on February 13, 2018, 05:08:16 AM
Why did'nt you just run the signal to ground? ...i mean... ...why?... ..you got me mesmerized with that complexity of a kill switch! lolol
I was mesmerized too!  What I really had a hard time understanding at first was why the person who designed it (It came from a book by RA Penfold) kept referring to it as an auto-wah when I clearly proved empirically that it did nothing of the sort.   ;D

(I eventually did get it to make sound though.)
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

GrindCustoms

Quote from: EBK on February 13, 2018, 05:21:21 AM
Quote from: GrindCustoms on February 13, 2018, 05:08:16 AM
I was mesmerized too!  What I really had a hard to understanding at first was why the person who designed it (It came from a book by RA Penfold) kept referring to it as an auto-wah when I clearly proved empirically that it did nothing of the sort.   ;D

(I eventually did get it to make sound though.)

HAHAHAHAHAHA!  I genuinely laughed hard here... ...i really missed the irony/sarcasm in your post, my bad.... ...but this is quite funny now.

juansolo

The first pedal I built, BYOC kit:

The third pedal I made, first one that was totally from scratch on vero, a little scruffy...:

Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

EBK

I love how the zip ties are trying their best to help there.   ;D

blearyeyes

Quote from: EBK on February 13, 2018, 11:16:55 AM

Their work is cut out for them.

movinginslomo

Quote from: EBK on February 13, 2018, 11:16:55 AM

We cannae hold tha beast cap'n! it's too much spaghetti!!

ah my first was some dubious ebay fuzz kit on lug turret board. Crappy pots with plastic shafts, no enclosure. Got a huge enclosure off mouser and masked/sprayed a crude union jack on it. Sounded lame, but it actually worked. Gave it away at some point.

mjg

Here's my first one.  You can see the guts from the outside, because it's a clear plastic container.  It's a basic dirt pedal with the following features :

- Ability to receive local radio stations when you touch the switches
- battery powered
- held it all together with a rubber band.