News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Caution: gruesome guts of first pedal thread.

Started by blearyeyes, February 13, 2018, 01:53:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tremster

Don't have a picture of the guts of my first pedal, which was a Musikding Red Llama kit.
But it looked as bad as you can imagine.

juansolo

Quote from: EBK on February 13, 2018, 11:16:55 AM
I love how the zip ties are trying their best to help there.   ;D

I don't really have an excuse. We tried to blend two pedals together on that one. It's a valvecaster and an LBP1 on vero. First time I'd ever done it, no idea if it would work. So I built it on the desk and actually liked the sound of it. I may have totally over estimated the lengths of the wires. It's also using giant pots. I measured them wrong and drilled the holes all wonky as a result. So I had to 'modify' those to fit and hide some mistakes under some stuck on bits ;)

Overall the pedal was a complete mess, but actually sounded good. I ran it for some time before it was binned for something new.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

selfdestroyer

I have shared my disaster builds before but this still takes the cake!

The baggy was there to add a protective film to keep the escaping electrons at bay. Very important for the TONEZ.

Cody

alanp

My "Mr Futs" (Lovetone Ringstinger clone) has a plastic bag around the daughterboard with the transformers. (Yes, I'm a horrible lazy person for not bolting it to the side.)

No, a battery does NOT actually fit in there.

No, it didn't pick up any radio stations :P
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

matmosphere

Love it. I'll have to dig out my first build and join in.

The plastic bag thing is a clever idea. I encased my first couple boards in electrical tape to keep them from shorting.

alanp

"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

EBK

Quote from: Matmosphere on February 14, 2018, 09:15:40 PM
I encased my first couple boards in electrical tape to keep them from shorting.
We're not supposed to do that?!  My entry in the BOTY 2017 contest essentially used a slight variation of that technique!
http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=26825.msg263154#msg263154
The only pedal I've built that has an absolutely permanent place on my pedalboard was built this way too.   ;)

Standoffs are so standoffish.   ;D
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

blearyeyes

Electrical Tape Encasement.  A new art, a new mojo.