News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

freekout! after a year on the pedalboard-starts to,well,freekout!

Started by mikef, February 14, 2018, 01:08:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikef

Hello,
Well I built this freekout, Brians most exellent Eh clone, about a year ago and it has been on the ol pedal board for nearly as that long.
Sure enough, I had a friend over and we were jamming and a high frequency pitch is noticable in the audio chain, one I never heard before. After some plugging and un plugging, I have discovered the Freekout pedal is the culprit.
The board is powered by a one spot pro, out of the 18v slot as required. The  high frequency is noticeable  even in bypass mode, and if you diddle the sweep knob,especially in the last quarter turn, it is there. I thought that i somehow bumped the trimmer, moving the boart,to and fro,but no,trying to readjust the trimmer seems not to help, so I set it back in the middle till there is minimal sound, as prescribed in the build. I have not replaced any parts and I am guessing that maybe a component has gone wonky and something is bleeding in? Thanks! I really hate to blow my audition in that all DEVO tribute band............

Scruffie

Works at Lectric-FX

mikef

I will pop it out and put a new one in. Thanks for the eagle eyes!
(Says the ol' Albatross.)

Scruffie

Works at Lectric-FX

mikef

is there a reference or list of critical voltage readings/measurements and location for  this  projects? That would be a great tool for trouble shooting!

EBK

Another thought is that maybe somewhere in the dust adhering to the flux could be a tiny bit of metal that settled between two joints at some point.
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

mikef

Ok, I see the voltage list on the print out I had. Sorry.
I notice that the build list has the trimmer at 100k,BUT  looking at the copy of the  schematics I have, it  says 1Mor meg.

mikef

ok it looks like i have a 1 meg (code 105)
when I run the multimeter to check the trimmer and am getting a reading that is saying it is good
swapping out chips,,,,,seems the AD 633nmay have been a bit wonky