News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Don't forget to hug your dog today....

Started by peAk, February 17, 2018, 07:23:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

peAk

On Wednesday I had to put my dog down. I had been with her almost 12 years which is longer than I had been with my wife and older than my son.

Make sure and give your dog a little extra love today because they can go quick. She went from what seemed to be a healthy dog on Thursday, to barely knowing who I was by Monday.

My heart has been crushed and our home just doesn't feel like home now.

sjaustin

Ugh, so sorry man. My dog is getting to the age where I know it could happen at any time. Hoping for good memories to overtake the grief sooner rather than later.

flanagan0718

Yikes! That is sad to hear. Sorry for your loss bud. My GSD is getting up there too. She'll be 11 this summer. I dread the day. Once again, sorry for your loss bud.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blearyeyes

Sorry to hear that peAK.  They are such great creatures.  I've lost a few in my time and it is always a sad thing.

cajone5

pickdropper

Sorry to hear that, PeAk.  It's particularly tough because your dog appeared to be in such good health a week ago.

Our dog also died this week (on Tuesday).  We had called a vet the night before to come put her down as she was whimpering and seemed uncomfortable.  by Tuesday morning, she wasn't in pain anymore and her breathing was starting to slow down.  We cancelled the vet and she died on her own 15 minutes before the vet would've showed up.  She was nearly 17 years old, which is very old for a Siberian Husky.  She had been fading for a bit, but it did accelerate rapidly.

I totally agree about the house feeling different.  Sorry for your loss.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

bcalla

That sucks, sorry to hear.

Last spring my dog from raided the laundry basket and ate an athletic sock.  We spent a stupid amount of money on surgery and his recovery.  He didn't tolerate the surgery or medication well and almost died 3 days post.

gordo

Really sorry to hear that, and very sorry for your loss.  It's been on my mind a lot lately.  My old guy (Rottweiler/Great Pyrenees) is getting close.  We've been thru a lot together and I think of him as much more of a friend than a dog.  He takes good care of the house and my wife too.  It's been a running joke for years now that the door coming into the house from the garage has a sign on it that says:

"This door is for YOUR protection...not mine"
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

Adam_DIY

What you guys just went through is a fear I've had for a while for our cats.  They're both getting up there so I know we won't have long with them now and we've started to notice little things about how they're both slowing down though one more than the other.

We're just trying to fill their lives with fun and comfort and love while we can.

stringsthings

Very sorry for your loss.  ( And your recent loss also pickdropper )

Losing a pet has been one of the hardest things I've ever gone through.  They give us so much love
and ask nothing in return.  I'm getting emotional from typing this ...

may your dog rest in peace
All You Need Is Love

peAk

Thanks for all the kind words guys, I figured there were many pet lovers here.

It's been a rough two weeks but I am starting to feel semi-normal again. Not sure if arriving home will ever feel normal again. First time in 24 years I have been without a dog.

madbean

I say don't wait too long to get another dog. Having other pets around when you lose one helps tremendously. Plus, you can pay back some of that love you got from the last one by rescuing one in need.

alanp

It's hard for me to imagine being without ANY pets. (They truly are part of the family.) We've always had multiple cats of various ages.

Sorry to hear about your loss :(
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

TNblueshawk

Very sorry to hear that. We put 2 cats down, sisters, back in September. We had them almost 18 years. Talk about a bond. We had a third who was 7 years younger. She moped around for about a month. I feel your pain. The cycle of life sucks at times.

As the old saying goes, better to have loved a pet than never to have loved one at all.
John