News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Engineer's Thumb

Started by Marshall Arts, February 18, 2018, 05:19:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marshall Arts

Had this JMK board and the relevant components lying around for over a year now and thought, I'd spend the morning building it and putting it in a reused 1590b. Who would have thought, that a mere low-effort-build would end up so nicely. And what a nice compressor that is!!! For the records: I am an engineer, so the "artwork" was obvious. Labels are "Volume", "Bright", "Compress", "Threshhold", "Attack" and "Release".

Marshall Arts

P.S. Now I got to learn THIS ONE. What a nice version!!! Perfect for a sunday afternoon!

Boba7

Thats really nice, I like it a lot.

I've never built this circuit. How useful are the 3 added pots? How « transparent » is the circuit? Does it cut high like any Ross comp?

gordo

I wanna get my hands on that wood stash!!!
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

blearyeyes

All compressors will remove highs to a certain extant. As you probably already know it is the nature of compression.  Interesting pedal. I would love to build one and I understand what you are saying: "as an audio engineer." I like to have control of the attack and decay settings.

I want that guitar man oh man I love those.  And that is some sweet guitar playing!

Boba7

Quote from: blearyeyes on February 18, 2018, 02:29:37 PM
All compressors will remove highs to a certain extant. As you probably already know it is the nature of compression.

Yeah sort of but I like the Afterlife/4:1 or the Diamond comp for that reason: they dont really cut highs all that much, at least to my ears. The 4:1 is my favorite comp ever but I'd be curious to build an ET at some point... maybe with an added blend pot... 6 pots and 1 switch? :D

blearyeyes

Quote from: Boba7 on February 18, 2018, 02:36:30 PM
All compressors will remove highs to a certain extant. As you probably already know it is the nature of compression.

Yeah sort of but I like the Afterlife/4:1 or the Diamond comp for that reason: they dont really cut highs all that much, at least to my ears. The 4:1 is my favorite comp ever but I'd be curious to build an ET at some point... maybe with an added blend pot... 6 pots and 1 switch? :D

I built a Zerconium. I'm enjoying it a lot. What do you play with the 4:1, guitar oe bass?

Aleph Null

Love the cheeky art work. And the white text with black knobs.

Boba7

Quote from: blearyeyes on February 19, 2018, 01:49:43 AM
Quote from: Boba7 on February 18, 2018, 02:36:30 PM

I built a Zerconium. I'm enjoying it a lot. What do you play with the 4:1, guitar oe bass?

Guitar, but also acoustic guitar, before going into my JDI. The Zirconia is amazing with my strat and tele, but not « transparent » enough with my acoustic. I had to change a couple caps on the Zirconia to better preserve bass (some resonance lower than low E was being cut and when I play solo I like my lows) and I changed the comp pot to a log instead of lin for a better range of subtle compression.
But still for bass, baritone and especially for acoustic the 4:1 is better. It's truly exceptional to my ears. I add a subtle amount of dry signal and have a sensitivity trimpot inside to match my pickups/preamp and it's perfect.
But for electric only the Zirconia is awesome!!

blearyeyes

Nice, I used the bass specs and am pretty happy with it on guitar. I'll try my bass today.  Acoustic is a different animal. I wish I could afford a 6 string that has that "magic"that I have heard with a Taylor, Larrivee and an old Guild.  I bought a Gibson songwriter a while back when I had some money but the Glass Room at GC fooled me.  Sold it. Great pickin git but I want a strummer with zing.. If that makes any sense.  I would love to hear the Engineers Thumb.

Boba7

Yes makes total sense to me. I have a Martin 00015m that I play everyday and a Gibson J45 « true vintage » that I record everything with. Both Trance Amulet equiped, which is a great system. :)

blearyeyes

Quote from: Boba7 on February 19, 2018, 11:21:20 AM
Yes makes total sense to me. I have a Martin 00015m that I play everyday and a Gibson J45 « true vintage » that I record everything with. Both Trance Amulet equiped, which is a great system. :)

Never hear of Trance. Google time!