News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Thorpy FX Muffroom Cloud equivalent

Started by fair.child, February 20, 2018, 07:57:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fair.child

As like I mentioned in the subject title. Does anyone know what the Muffroom equivalent build? Somehow when I read this pedal claimed the best I am interested to learn more. The street price is 300 dollars and it looks sound like improved Muff Clone. What do you guys think?

somnif

Looks to be a Triangle muff with a 2 band EQ section. Don't see any schematics out there for this specifically, but it wouldnt be impossible to work up. Found a off-angle gut shot: http://www.theguitarmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/IMG_7176.jpg. I don't see anything super obscure in there, so I'd bet its a fairly stock Triangle muff with the tone stack modified, using a 2 band style rather than the old school BMP tone knob.

Maybe someone has shelled out the big bucks and can provide a clearer picture.

fair.child

Triangle has many different versions. The tone stack could be implemented with Baxandall. That's what I'm thinking. Once I know the type of the Triangle Muff then I can start do breadboard with Baxandall to see how it works out.

kaeisy

thesmokingman

I saw he cried about not wanting it traced over at fsb and let it go when it came to my personal curiosity(and abjectly lost respect for thorpy). I tend to ride the fence on things like this, you respect a person's business but at the same time you know they got where they are now by peeking behind the curtain of someone else's work.
once upon a time I was Tornado Alley FX

matmosphere

I just wonder how much the minor changes in any version of the muff matter compared to say, what amp you are using.

Even if we had this guys exact formula we might not get what you want to hear out of it because we are using a fender twin reverb instead of a vox AC30 or something like that. How much those small differences would disappear in the mix of a full band.

fair.child

Quote from: thesmokingman on February 21, 2018, 09:08:28 AM
I saw he cried about not wanting it traced over at fsb and let it go when it came to my personal curiosity(and abjectly lost respect for thorpy). I tend to ride the fence on things like this, you respect a person's business but at the same time you know they got where they are now by peeking behind the curtain of someone else's work.

Well, I do respect the work he has done and being inspired to see what the change or make that I can dig around. I don't intend to clone directly for Thorpy instead looking the equivalent pedal or similar design. I didn't know that he cried at FSB about tracing.

Quote from: Matmosphere on February 21, 2018, 09:47:11 AM
I just wonder how much the minor changes in any version of the muff matter compared to say, what amp you are using.

Even if we had this guys exact formula we might not get what you want to hear out of it because we are using a fender twin reverb instead of a vox AC30 or something like that. How much those small differences would disappear in the mix of a full band.

I agree on this. Andy PGS sounds killer though and it could be my starting point to learn more about Muff's variants these days.

micromegas

I don't want to get into a debate on it, and had no affiliation/relation with Thorpy at all, but saying he 'cried' on FSB is a bit too much IMO. Anyway, if you are interested on Baxandall-like tonestack experimentation with the BMP, there is another original design in FSB (on the diy section) called 'Big Muff Plus'.

There is also a well known mod people call 'Noise Gate Mod' for the BMP to reduce hiss and several to adjust the gain & 'smoothness'. Take a look here:
http://www.coda-effects.com/2015/11/big-muff-mods-and-tweaks.html
and here
http://www.kitrae.net/music/Big_Muff_Mods_and_Tweaks_Page.html

The BMP is quite a fun circuit to experiment with & dissect into small bits.
'My favorite programming language is solder' - Bob Pease

Software Developer @ bela.io

micromegas

Also, the Manx Loaghtan looks like it uses 5 transistors (one of them being a Mosfet stage after the tonestack), whereas the Muffroom Cloud (based on my inspection of that photo) only uses 4 (as the Big Muff Plus I pointed out before does).
'My favorite programming language is solder' - Bob Pease

Software Developer @ bela.io

LaceSensor

People should just trace the Thorpy stuff

His work isnt any more precious than any other, and people that want a real one will buy one.
Lets be honest,  I like the guy, I like his enclosures, I respect him as a veteran, but he is for the most part doing high end re-works of classic FX, with a small amount of innovation - some of which so far is driven by his collaborations with Dan Coggins - so he cant claim to be doing all the leg work himself. Plus, that particular pedal is a BigMuff, so...if he did cry about it getting traced, he needs to get a grip.

matmosphere

I've never had a chance to play a Thorpy. They have cool cases that make them stand out but I don't know how they sound.

But since we're talking about muffs, I wanna know is how the Stomp Underfoot pedals all manage to sound so freaking good? I built a Violet Ram's head that I love but head to head with a Stomp Underfoot it's no contest.

287m

Quote from: Matmosphere on February 22, 2018, 07:27:48 AM
But since we're talking about muffs, I wanna know is how the Stomp Underfoot pedals all manage to sound so freaking good? I built a Violet Ram's head that I love but head to head with a Stomp Underfoot it's no contest.

they have combination tasty trannies. Yeah, im jealous too
even my build, socketed, different layout, or different trannies position, sound different

muffventoure is never ending if you still do the journey.

fair.child

madbean

I have zero opinion on tracing Thorpy's stuff (whose pedals I admire) but I'd like to remind everyone that Thorpy is a member here and rules of conduct apply when talking about fellow forum members.