News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

INKSCAPE Questions and Help

Started by jkokura, September 23, 2011, 05:09:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jkokura

Many of us pedal builders are using Inkscape to create our graphics and layouts. It's also helpful for creating etching files from Eagle's layouts. This thread is where you can ask questions, share tips, and post links for helpful tutorials.

Here's the Inkscape website: http://inkscape.org/

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

irmcdermott

my question is this...

how the heck to you open the EPS files. I've done research and everything points to Ghostscript. I just can't figure out how to "build" it on my Mac. I'm not a code guy, I'm guessing I need to do something in Terminal. I'm running Lion (10.7.1). Any help would be great.

keysandguitars

I'm running Lion and gave up on EPS as everything pointed to ghostscript.

Ihave been opening the PDF version instead. I don't know if I'm "supposed" to do it this way, but it's working...kinda.

Revised to include Jacob's quote from the other thread:

I used the pdf version, and then opened a new page, then imported the page I wanted in. I selected everything, the ungrouped it to it's basic parts. I then had to highlight and group each part one at a time. A pain. I wish we could get the .svg file instead of the .eps or .pdf files to work with.

I also wish there were some more parts to have to work with as well. a 9V battery as an example, or external nut DC jacks.

Jacob
I should still be a "diode destroyer"!

keysandguitars

Ungrouped items as Jacob suggested, bingo! Thanks man. (used the PDF version).

I posted on the other thread, but pressing "space" and then "escape" before letting go of the object will drop a copy in the place and keep the original copy in its place.

slimtriggers

I have the knobs ungrouped and saved as an svg file.  I then went back and regrouped the components of each knob, so you can just drag and drop...hopefully.   I'm working on the hardware.  I'll zip it and upload them up to here when I'm done.  Won't be tonight.  Maybe tomorrow after work ;)

Maybe it will save some folks a bit of a hassle in the future.

irmcdermott

I've already got the hardware done too :)

irmcdermott

This should be all of them (knobs, hardware, and all enclosures) as .SVG files. Should be able to just drag and drop. Let me know if something doesn't work.

****DISCLAIMER: I DID NOT MAKE THESE VECTOR FILES AND TAKE NO CREDIT FOR THEM****
....just thought I'd throw that out there.

ian

[attachment deleted by admin]

irmcdermott

eh. i've been messing around with it. if I copy and paste components into another document, the quality goes down (a little fuzzy, numbers aren't on the pots). Also, if a copy any of the switched (toggle or 3Pdt) and paste, the blue goes away. Its weird. Trying to figure out.

keysandguitars

Hmm, idk man. I'm guessing that perhaps each individual object needs to be grouped so that all layers of said object move together. Just a guess.

I just started to use the templates on GGG until I'm up and running on inkscape. GGG is down in observance of Shabbos. I can't find the link to the page that hosts links to all the enclosures, but this link should get you to the 125B enclosure...awesome template in my opinion and should be very usable in vector based programs.

http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/pdf/drill/ggg_drill_125b_all.pdf?phpMyAdmin=78482479fd7e7fc3768044a841b3e85a

For now, just change the given enclosure model number in the URL to your desired model (1590b, 1590bb, etc) and the PDF should come up. I'll cross post in the inkscape thread.

keysandguitars

Slimtriggers, Which pages haven't you done, I'd be happy to help out.

slimtriggers

Quote from: irmcdermott on September 23, 2011, 08:26:11 PM
eh. i've been messing around with it. if I copy and paste components into another document, the quality goes down (a little fuzzy, numbers aren't on the pots). Also, if a copy any of the switched (toggle or 3Pdt) and paste, the blue goes away. Its weird. Trying to figure out.

You might have missed grouping a layer.  I was deconstructing things layer by layer, then using the align tools as I regrouped them.  It's tedious, though.  I'm not sure why you would be losing resolution when you copy/paste ???

keysandguitars, I have the knobs done and about 3/4th of the hardware.  I won't be able to get to it until tonight after work.

jkokura

Quote from: irmcdermott on September 23, 2011, 08:26:11 PM

I've never been able to copy and paste to and from Inkscape. I can't even copy something in one page in Inkscape and then paste in a new page! Perhaps there is a way to do it, but all I've been able to do is to import and export things. The "Save As" in the file tab is helpful.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

irmcdermott

Out of curiousity.... I know you are on a Mac, so you are used to Command+C, Command+V, etc., but in Inkscape (and GIMP), you need to hit Control+C, Control+V, etc., as if you were on a PC.

slimtriggers

Here's the knobs and hardware.  I tested them as I went, but it's possible I missed something.   I hope it works!

Again with the disclaimer:  This is not my original work.  I just converted them to svg.  Whoever made these originally was a saint!  8)

Knobs and hardware only.  I didn't do the enclosures yet.

Knobs and hardware re-upped.  Get 'em while you can  ;)

slimtriggers

Just did this with Inkscape and Gimp.  Sort of Malekko-ish.  Pretty quick and easy, though 8)