jkokura

JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

slimtriggers

I shoulda checked my spelling first :D

keysandguitars

This is DUCTAPERIOT's post from another thread:

Ok, i finally finished the tutorial on how to use the Inkscape vector graphics editing program to create a pedal decal layout. It goes through how to get a drilling template into the program, create text for knob labels and naming, creating an outline with jack labels, and how to take a bitmap (jpeg, or gif, or ??) graphic and turn it into a vector one. There is lots of discussion of the advantages of using vector graphics on the original post too.

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmOG5zE0sNE
Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHL7SA-qX6w
Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXvy5Wb46ok

I had to split it into 3 parts because it wound up being pretty long (~30 min). Also I apologize for the noise in the background, it is my laptop cpu fan and I didn't notice it until after I had finished recording everything and I just couldn't bring myself to redo it. It took much longer than I expected to get it edited and uploaded.

Let me know if there are any questions.
I should still be a "diode destroyer"!

keysandguitars

keysandguitars

I've finally designed graphics for several pedals in Inkscape. I created them in different files and then imported them all into one document. I have them laid out within the boundaries of the page. When I click print (fortunately on plain paper to test) it only prints a corner of one pedal. I've searched the web for guidance on how to set the printing margins and have played with the document properties, but I'm not getting anywhere.

I can print the single pedal art in the individual file, but I'm trying to get several decals out of one sheet of waterslide paper. Any suggestions?

Davefx

Hi Keys.. Thanks lots for the tutorial!  I have a question regarding adding the rectangle outline. You made it appear around the thing like magic, lol.. It wouldn't appear for me, it made me draw it with the mouse, and with my shaky hand, forget it! lol  I missed something you did somewhere. I opened the fill and stroke and saw the curved corner option, but i would still need to have the rectangle in place to choose that I think.
Sorry, I'm confused!
I'm an old nube when it comes to getting around these type programs. 

Thanks in advance... Dave

keysandguitars

Hi Dave,

DuctTapeRiot made the videos, i just posted them in this thread. A couple questions, are you using the vector pack with all the enclosures, hardware and knobs? If so, you won't need to freehand draw anything. You can just use the desired enclosure size you're using for your build.

If you want to draw the rectangle, you should be able to click on the rectangle tool on the left hand side of the window, in the tool bar, and click and drag the mouse on the canvas to make the rectangle. You can then select the object and use the fill and stroke menu to change the line color, thickness, corners, etc as well as the fill color.

This video explains it in detail. Let me know if I didn't give you the answer you're looking for and I'll try again to help.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ulkp5VWQYAQ

Davefx

Thanks Keys,

Yes I am using them, and using the  1590B outline. I got it now, sort of..  ::) lol.  I tried to use the erase tool to make little breaks in it and it wanted to erase the whole rectangle.. arghhh! Oh well I'll just have to keep on doinken with it .. Also I want to make my knob label text arched, not sure if i can or how to do that either..  I'll get it!

Thanks again... Dave

DuctTapeRiot

Quote from: Davefx on December 18, 2011, 04:52:09 AM
I tried to use the erase tool to make little breaks in it and it wanted to erase the whole rectangle.. arghhh!

Ya as you discovered the erase tool only erases whole objects.  In order to make the gaps you can do two things, either convert the rectangle to a path and add nodes to break it as I did in the tutorial part 1 above, or another quicker way I discovered is to simply make some smaller rectangles that are all white (both stroke and fill) and make sure that they are above the outline rectangle (there are raise and lower commands in the object menu) and this will make it appear there is a break in the outline.

Quote from: Davefx on December 18, 2011, 04:52:09 AMAlso I want to make my knob label text arched, not sure if i can or how to do that either..  I'll get it!

I show how to do arched text right at the beginning of part 3 of the above tutorial.  Keep on playing with inkscape there is so much interesting stuff there, I am still learning every time I do another decal.

Thanks again... Dave

Davefx

Ok Dave thanks..  I know I always learn something everytime too.. It's like torture sometimes learning some of these programs when you aren't that savvy with them to begin with! lol

DuctTapeRiot

No problems I am happy to answer as many questions as I can as I am usually the one asking them when it comes to pedal stuff.

Check out part 3 of the tutorial for bending text and give it a try and let me know if you have any questions about that, or getting the little white rectangles to work or anything else really.

jimmybjj

ok so i'm trying to get a better understanding of this program, and i have a question. how to you convert a pdf into multiple objects? I opened this pdf i want to convert it into multiple objects so that i can delete the portions i don't want. I tried tracing but for some reason i could not get it to do that. I tried ungrouping the pdf and that doesn't work either. Any more experence using have some advice for me? Thanks for any help.
Pcbs no longer available

DuctTapeRiot

From what I can tell that PDF was not created in vector fomat with multiple objects, it is just one big jpeg essentially.  You can tell because when you zoom in it pixelates.  What I would do with this one is copy into Inkscape, then use the "Trace Bitmap" (same as in the tutorial) which will give you a one layer vector object.  You should then be able to use the Node selector (The arrow with the line underneath) to select specific parts and move them to new layers.  I dont have Inkscape here (at work  :P) but can do some screen shots etc when I get home.

irmcdermott

Hey everyone,

Not sure if anyone else may find this useful, but I thought I might post it here. Attached is a vector i did of a 9V battery. Helpful if you use the normal vector packs for your layout.

All dimensions that are used I got off of a random datasheet.

hoodoo

Gday to all. New to this, loving the pedal building, Inkscape not so much!!! Hoping someone might be able to point me in the right direction with an inkscape problem. I've tried to research it but no luck. I have created the image and text that i want for a pedal however when i print it out it does not align with the border that i have created. Is there a way to lock them in place. I'm thinking it must be something simple that i'm missing. Thanks in advance, Matt.