News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

3PRR Voltage Regulator Orientation

Started by Gristlepig, February 22, 2018, 05:16:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gristlepig

Hey guys,
This feels like a dumb question, but I've never worked with voltage regulators before and I am unsure subbing the vr on the 3PRR board.
I do not have access to the recommended LM78L15 in the TO-92 package, so I'm assuming I can use one of these big, honkin' TO-220 L7815CV in it's place. At least that's what I gather from the datasheets. Am I correct?
Now comes the dumb question...
Does this voltage regulator put off heat under normal use?
In order to get it to fit, I had to bend the pins 45 degrees and lay it down touching the 10uf electrolytics. And well... I don't wanna cook up some capacitors.

So yeah... I super appreciate y'alls help.

madbean

It will put out some heat, but probably not enough to damage the cap next to it.  Most of the heat will get absorbed and emitted by the heat sink which is on the other side. Your pin orientation is correct.

Gristlepig

alanp

If the 'L' package regulator is enough, then the big regulator won't be worried in the slightest.

If I'm reading the datasheet rightly, the tab is linked to Ground, so if you're really worried, you could just have the regulator high enough that the tab is pushed against the enclosure, and use that as a heatsink.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website