News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

BSIAB II / Diablo Drive

Started by Marshall Arts, February 25, 2018, 07:23:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marshall Arts

This is my take of the BSIAB with some tweaks inspired by similar builds (e.g. the Diablo Drive)

•   Noiseless biasing (based on R.G. Keens recommendations)
•   Internal trim pots for bass and presence to fine adjust sound to any amp (as seen on the Okko Diablo Drive)
•   Contour mod (based on the General Guitar Gadgets BSIAB II)
•   Switch for +9V/+18V operation (as seen on the Okko Diablo Drive)
•   Minor changes in the input section and in the circuit as well
•   Added a second pot for "lead boost", which simply increases volume (not gain)
•   Provided some space for optional components for further mods
•   +9V and GND pads on the switch side for relay switches/LEDs

Fits in a 1590BB, documentation is here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1g8BagMpBAZGZ6NRCEpW4PXo3-MAYxbF_
Leftover sale: http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=27408.msg265388#msg265388

For those who already downloaded the documenation: I updated the drill template, please download again and please always measure yourself before drilling!

The very special thing about this is the enclosure, which I won from forum member fair.child in the BOTY competition. Given the circuit, I wanted a classic EVH colour swirl, and it turned out just perfect! Thanks again for that, fair.child.

The circuit was a bit noisy outside the enclosure but turned much more quiet when I closed the lid (it still produces some noise, but totally acceptable - it's a mid- to hi-gain circuit with discrete components...)

The enclosure, like I receivded it:

Top view (left to right: Gain, Contour, Tone, Volume, Lead Volume, Switch: 9V/18V)

Rear view:

Guts:

SlaveUnit

Any particular reason that you left out a couple of optional caps? What do they effect? Thanks.

m-Kresol

I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

Marshall Arts

Quote from: SlaveUnit on February 25, 2018, 08:46:32 AM
Any particular reason that you left out a couple of optional caps? What do they effect? Thanks.
Yes... Low pass filter cap just before the output. I like bright aggressive sounds and don't mind a bit of noise...

Marshall Arts

Quote from: Marshall Arts on February 25, 2018, 08:56:46 AM
Quote from: SlaveUnit on February 25, 2018, 08:46:32 AM
Yes... Low pass filter caps just before the output. I light bright aggressive sounds and don't mind a bit of noise...
Forgot: one is a boost cap on the second u-amp... But it has enough gain and volume without it, imho

SlaveUnit

Great. Thanks for the replies.

Could you please tell me which one does which? I'm thinking about throwing 1 on a switch.

Marshall Arts

Quote from: SlaveUnit on February 25, 2018, 09:06:49 AM
Great. Thanks for the replies.

Could you please tell me which one does which? I'm thinking about throwing 1 on a switch.
C13 and C14o filter hi frequencies, c9o is the boost cap. ,,o" stands for ,,optional"

Marshall Arts

Boba7

Beautiful, really beautiful build

fair.child

Wow, that is a nicely done. It looks very EVH-ish  8) Did you happen to finish it again with Polyurethane? How was the drilling? It seems to turn really good looking there.

Marshall Arts

Quote from: fair.child on February 25, 2018, 10:14:51 PM
Wow, that is a nicely done. It looks very EVH-ish  8) Did you happen to finish it again with Polyurethane? How was the drilling? It seems to turn really good looking there.
I was scared to paint it again, I had colours dissolve dried layers before.... And it looked perfect the way it was... Drilling went well without any color chipping off..

Marshall Arts

I recorded something with the pedal today, if anybody is interested, there are boards left ;-). Please excuse the crappy playing, still practicing that thang...

Marshall Arts

...added some shielded cable yesterday - I can recommend that for any high-gain-pedal build!

Marshall Arts

And finally, as I wanted to make this really look 80's style, I added some really old-school labels ;-)