News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Another lazy finishing technique

Started by culturejam, February 25, 2018, 05:18:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

culturejam

Got the idea while chasing my kid through Joann Fabric the other day. I saw these cool disk things that looked like they would make for a neat rattle can stencil. Apparently this things are called a "plastic canvas". This is pretty much the same one I used: http://amzn.to/2EUawSR

So yeah, just lay this thing on an enclosure and hit it with spray paint. Probably a good idea to finish off with some kind of clear coat.

Here's my first attempt. Literally took 20 seconds. The box is a Hammond pre-powder-coated. Paint was some kind of random white that I had laying around. The lines aren't clean at all, but it's hard to get that when the enclosure itself isn't flat. I'm sure there's a way to make it sit flatter, but this was a first (lazy) try.

Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

blearyeyes

That's what I'm talking bout! Lazy=me

p_wats

One man's lazy is another man's ingenious. Nice job.

pickdropper

I was looking very carefully to see if it was perfectly centered when the pattern caused me to have a seizure and pass out.

In other words, I approve of this artwork.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

matmosphere

That looks great! Way to think on your feet. My local Joanne is not somewhere that inspires (or allows) thought.

Quote from: p_wats on February 25, 2018, 06:35:58 PM
One man's lazy is another man's ingenious. Nice job.

The two are not mutually exclusive. In fact I'd argue they go hand in hand.

Use brain to find solution that requires the least amount of effort possible, is just another way to say innovative thinking.

selfdestroyer

alanp

Quote from: ScroogeMcDuck
Work smarter, not harder!
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

Adam_DIY

TheDude

Love it, particularly the faded look in the top left corner

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk

The dude abides

reddesert

That's cool!

I think this is a framework for embroidery or needlepoint so that would be the section to find it in.

Now you're making me think about a fabric covered pedal.

madbean

That is cool! I wonder - have you tried using your 3d printer to make stencils for the same kind of thing? Or are they prints too rough for that?

somnif

Quote from: madbean on February 26, 2018, 02:55:54 PM
That is cool! I wonder - have you tried using your 3d printer to make stencils for the same kind of thing? Or are they prints too rough for that?

I mean, you could, but the real deal are like 50 cents a piece, the printer media would cost more than a trip to a fabric store.

Aristatertotle

Cool! I've seen people do art prints and the sort using things like doilies as resists when spraying paint, or painting the doilies and using them as stamps.

madbean

Quote from: somnif on February 26, 2018, 03:02:57 PM

I mean, you could, but the real deal are like 50 cents a piece, the printer media would cost more than a trip to a fabric store.

I don't mean copies of the one he used - stencils based on artwork. Like a full sheet covering the enclosure with cutouts for the lettering, etc. Might not be practical...the pic just made me think of it.

culturejam

That would work. And I actually did make a stencil about a year ago, but I made it too thick (and with a stupid font) and it didn't work very well. Never got around to doing another, but thanks for the reminder.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects