News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Resistors question

Started by helos, February 27, 2018, 07:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

helos

Hello everyone, my question is probably stupid but I was just wondering if there would be any audible difference if I used good quality resistors (like Vishay) rather than the cheaper ones I can get from Tayda or Aliexpress...

EBK

Use metal film, 1% tolerance, and they will all sound the same.  Some may have thinner leads or possibly paint that chips off, but I'd say ignore that (seriously).
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

Aleph Null

The tolerance is the most likely thing to make a difference. All the Tayda resistors I've tested are within spec (1% tolerance), but the leads are a little thinner.

Technically, carbon comp resistors (the brown ones) will have higher thermal noise, but it's highly unlikely you'll ever hear the difference in a pedal. I sometimes use carbon comps because it's all I can get. They are rated at 5% tolerance, so I measure and just use the ones that fall within 1%. I haven't had any issues with this method yet.

helos

Ok thank you very much guys!  ;)