News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

White Horse versions

Started by Aentons, February 28, 2018, 06:21:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aentons

I'm starting the White Horse and reading thru the build doc and notice it talks about the differences in building version 4.2, which is what is on the PCB, and ver 5. I see the clipping diodes are different and there are some cap changes as well. What do the changes in the cap values affect? Are the values interchangable?

Aentons

Also, on the BOM, there are two 220n caps listed. Am I taking crazy pills or is there really just one?

somnif

Always go with the build document. Designs/Values often got adjusted after the PCBs were printed, so the values on the silkscreen are not always the best thing to go with. The build docs are up to date.

Aentons

Quote from: somnif on February 28, 2018, 08:38:18 AM
Always go with the build document. Designs/Values often got adjusted after the PCBs were printed, so the values on the silkscreen are not always the best thing to go with. The build docs are up to date.

Sorry if I wasn't clear, I am talking about whats in the build doc

Netnnk

I was a member of the Patreon and this note was included with the layout files:

"*White Horse - If you purchased the White Horse circuit board from madbeanpedals, please note that the component values are different than the values printed on the PCB. The correct values are listed in these files, as I updated the circuit after the PCBs were fabricated"

The differences listed are exactly what's on the PDF instructions I just downloaded from the main page.

somnif

Quote from: Aentons on February 28, 2018, 01:01:40 PM
Sorry if I wasn't clear, I am talking about whats in the build doc

Ah I see what you mean now. The changes in value affect the tone of the circuit somewhat. The capacitors deal with frequency response at their various positions in the circuit, and Peter decided he liked how the circuit behaved with 220nF in those positions vs how it sounded with 100nF. Your tastes may vary. Similar with the diodes, it changes the clipping character a bit going from BS170s to dual 1n914s.

Its really a matter of taste.

Aentons

Ok, thanks. I have some 1uf film caps that I think I'll try there.

Boba7

Quote from: somnif on February 28, 2018, 04:57:04 PM
Ah I see what you mean now. The changes in value affect the tone of the circuit somewhat. The capacitors deal with frequency response at their various positions in the circuit, and Peter decided he liked how the circuit behaved with 220nF in those positions vs how it sounded with 100nF. Your tastes may vary. Similar with the diodes, it changes the clipping character a bit going from BS170s to dual 1n914s.

Hey! :D

So those 220nf, where are they exactly? What 100nf do they replace? It's not clear to me.

Boba7

Quote from: Boba7 on November 01, 2018, 07:52:04 AM
Quote from: somnif on February 28, 2018, 04:57:04 PM

Hey! :D

So those 220nf, where are they exactly? What 100nf do they replace? It's not clear to me.

Anyone? :)

somnif

I THINK its C2 and C12, those are the 2 220nF caps listed on the v4.2 board.

The v5.0 board has a 100nF in C2's position via the silk screen.

Compare this pic of a 4.2 board - http://www.madbeanpedals.com/projects/_folders/VFE/images/VFE_WhiteHorse.jpg

And this pic of the 5.0 layout from the eagle files - https://i.imgur.com/QxCc9s7.png

I think there may have been a little mix between picture and BOM.

It's C2 that changes, 100nF in one iteration, 220nF in another (the cap closest to the A50k pot). I have no idea what is the "right" version in this case.

Boba7

Thanks, got it now.

So C12 would be just a little bit more bass at the input with .22 instead of .1 (I'll use .22), and C2 a bit more bass in the compressor section, maybe affecting the gain slightly too. Maybe I'll socket that one. :)

Thanks for your help, I can't wait to receive the pcb and parts now! :)

Boba7

I just had a look at the RC filter calculator, and it seems there's not point putting a .22 instead of .1 for C2.