News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Advice needed on inkjet printer and ink for pedal artwork

Started by Philtre, March 09, 2018, 01:21:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Philtre

Now that I'm OK with using Envirotex Lite on an enclosure I want to try my hand at printing on transparent adhesive paper (like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Adhesive-Microporous-Waterproof-Sticker-PPD-36-20/dp/B000W4H63S/). But I'd like some opinions on inkjet printers and ink:

Will the ink fade over time? Or is it protected in the Envirotex?
What's the best printer and ink to use? Epson? Canon? HP?

Any tips welcome!

TNblueshawk

I can only comment on the ink but it doesn't fade one iota. After 80+ pedals with Envirotex the images are as sharp as ever. I can also say damn, that ink is expensive  :P
John

Aleph Null

I haven't had any issues with fading yet. I don't imagine you would unless your pedals spend most of their time on a festival stage or near an window. Keep in mind most inkjet decals or stickers will require the use of a fixative before you do a clear coat.

Philtre

Quote from: Aleph Null on March 09, 2018, 11:16:36 AM
...Keep in mind most inkjet decals or stickers will require the use of a fixative before you do a clear coat.

But not needed for Envirotex?

jimilee

Before I switched to a laser perimeter, I used just a regular inkjet printer, clear coated with rattle can clear, dropped the water slide in water and applied to the enclosure no problem. I found an rosin  laser printer for around 100 at staples.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

TNblueshawk

Quote from: Philtre on March 09, 2018, 11:26:47 AM
...Keep in mind most inkjet decals or stickers will require the use of a fixative before you do a clear coat.

Right, not needed. Once you place that decal on there, which is an art form unto itself especially with clear water slides, and it dries, that sucker isn't going anywhere and it will not move when pouring the Tex' on there.

I should add that you can get a product that sort of coats the top of the pedal as you apply the decal. It allows you to move the decal into position easily. For white backed I really don't need it. For clear ones it comes in handy. The down side is that is moves TOO easily at times when I'm trying to get the bubbles out of the decal.
John

EBK

Wait!

You need a fixative before you soak that decal in water to apply it, don't you?!

Thought we were talking about waterslide decals for a minute there.  I believe we are talking about sticker paper instead.
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

TNblueshawk

Gotcha. I don't have experience with stickers. I know that you have to clear coat the water slide before pouring the tex but I don't know about stickers.
John

Aleph Null

Quote from: Philtre on March 09, 2018, 11:26:47 AM

Sorry. Not trying to sow confusion. Some clear coats would require the use of a fixative. It depends on the inkjet ink and the clear coat being employed. Anything acrylic based should cause issues.

stringsthings

Question for inkjet owners?

Many years back, I bought an HP inkjet printer and I didn't like it all because the ink cartridges would always  dry up way too fast.
It cost a fortune to replace the ink.  And this was years and years ago.  So, have things improved in this area?  Do ink cartridges still dry up?
Or do they make better ink that doesn't dry up, so you get your money's worth?
All You Need Is Love

mjg

I've not had an issue with the ink drying up.  That's with the branded Epson ink, and 'compatible' 3rd party stuff.

It's still expensive though.  And doesn't last long if you're printing 'photo' quality. 

TNblueshawk

Quote from: mjg on March 12, 2018, 11:02:27 PM
I've not had an issue with the ink drying up.  That's with the branded Epson ink, and 'compatible' 3rd party stuff.

It's still expensive though.  And doesn't last long if you're printing 'photo' quality.

Agreed. I've never had one dry up. I just used it up pretty fast. Like mjg says, if you want to print quality then it will really use it up. I tried a few "less" quality but it wasn't as sharp which bugged me.
John