News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Not buying stuff sucks a lot!!

Started by jimilee, March 09, 2018, 12:02:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimilee

So of my own accord, I've decided to temporarily curtail my guitar buying and building, and I tweaking my pretty badly.
   We are hoping to buy a house, so instead of buying guitars, I'm paying off revolving credit accounts so I can save some money and be in a good spot. There are only 2 now and they're interest free. I use revolving credit to keep my credit rating smooth, and for fun money, and now I'm pretty much dyeing .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

thesmokingman

I'm finally back in build mode so I've been on a bit of a buying spree here lately ... spent the last couple years in exactly your spot, just itching to spend
once upon a time I was Tornado Alley FX

jubal81

Have you asked your doctor about Ric620?

Ric620 has proven 100% effective* among all jubal81s in curing recurring guitar GAS, resulting in a reduction to a single instrument after steady use over several years.

*Results may vary. Effectiveness of Ric620 shown in trials against 6-string instruments. Side effects include reports of 12-string instrument GAS.

"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

jimilee

Quote from: jubal81 on March 09, 2018, 12:54:01 PM

Ric620 has proven 100% effective* among all jubal81s in curing recurring guitar GAS, resulting in a reduction to a single instrument after steady use over several years.

*Results may vary. Effectiveness of Ric620 shown in trials against 6-string instruments. Side effects include reports of 12-string instrument GAS.

That's exactly what I need!

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

HamSandwich

EEERRRUUUUGGGHHHHHHHHH. Now why you gotta do that?

stringsthings

Quote from: jimilee on March 09, 2018, 12:02:05 PM
So of my own accord, I've decided to temporarily curtail my guitar buying and building, and I tweaking my pretty badly.
   We are hoping to buy a house, so instead of buying guitars, I'm paying off revolving credit accounts so I can save some money and be in a good spot. There are only 2 now and they're interest free. I use revolving credit to keep my credit rating smooth, and for fun money, and now I'm pretty much dyeing .

I hear ya!  My income has dipped over the past year and so I haven't been spending as much.   And I've been trying to save up for a nice audio interface for the computer to get back to doing some recording.  And since getting into some modular synth stuff, I've spent quite a bit more there than for guitar pedals.  So I've recently been playing inexpensive computer games.   There's a few pedal projects that I could finish without spending much, so I can always fall back on that.
All You Need Is Love

jimilee

Pedals aren't a problem, it's guitar money that I don't want to spend.

matmosphere

Quote from: HamSandwich on March 09, 2018, 12:59:13 PM

EEERRRUUUUGGGHHHHHHHHH. Now why you gotta do that?

Yeah, I haven't had GAS for years (because I'm pretty much always broke) but man that reminds me how much I've always wanted a ric.

pickdropper

I went with a different approach.  I borrowed a couple of old Marshall heads.  Soon, my hearing will be totally gone and I can sell everything.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

gordo

Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

pickdropper

Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

alanp

When I'm working, I have money for parts, but no time to do what I want with them.

When I'm off work, I have time to mess about with circuitry, but no money for the parts.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

selfdestroyer

Muadzin

Quote from: jimilee on March 09, 2018, 12:02:05 PM

I don't get half of what you're trying to say here, it sounds like the kind of financial shenanigans which melted down the economy a decade ago, but methinks that when you have debts in any shape or form, guitars (or basically anything) are not something you should buy, period!

Quote from: alanp on March 09, 2018, 07:29:37 PM
When I'm working, I have money for parts, but no time to do what I want with them.

When I'm off work, I have time to mess about with circuitry, but no money for the parts.

Yup, that's pretty much it. If you're lucky and do either for long enough the deep sea pressure effect starts to happen. Like a deep sea fish you get used to it and you manage to find some spare time, or spare money.