News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Not buying stuff sucks a lot!!

Started by jimilee, March 09, 2018, 12:02:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimilee

Never mind
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

madbean

Quote from: Muadzin on March 12, 2018, 04:10:06 PM
I don't get half of what you're trying to say here, it sounds like the kind of financial shenanigans which melted down the economy a decade ago, but methinks that when you have debts in any shape or form, guitars (or basically anything) are not something you should buy, period!

I'm sure that Jimi can manage his own finances.

That said, in my own lean times I've sold off gear without too much thought. Occasionally I've come to regret it but most of the time I realize I still have too much so I don't dwell on it. Probably because for 10 years all I had was one semi-working Strat, two pedals and a dang Peavey Bandit amp!

My biggest regret was selling off my original Ibanez s540 in my 20's to pay my friggin' rent. I felt terrible about it for years. I actually bought another one a few years ago but flipped it pretty quickly when I realized "yeah, I don't play the way this guitar wants me too anymore" :) Luckily I got that out of my system.

jimilee

Quote from: madbean on March 12, 2018, 06:21:55 PM
I don't get half of what you're trying to say here, it sounds like the kind of financial shenanigans which melted down the economy a decade ago, but methinks that when you have debts in any shape or form, guitars (or basically anything) are not something you should buy, period!

That said, in my own lean times I've sold off gear without too much thought. Occasionally I've come to regret it but most of the time I realize I still have too much so I don't dwell on it. Probably because for 10 years all I had was one semi-working Strat, two pedals and a dang Peavey Bandit amp!

My biggest regret was selling off my original Ibanez s540 in my 20's to pay my friggin' rent. I felt terrible about it for years. I actually bought another one a few years ago but flipped it pretty quickly when I realized "yeah, I don't play the way this guitar wants me too anymore" :) Luckily I got that out of my system.
Thank you Brian. Maybe I should clarify, I'm not struggling by any means, as a matter of fact, I'm doing fine. I just am tightening my belt so I can save more for a bigger down payment to buy my wife the house she wants and deserves.
Wow, this seems to have gotten out of control.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

pickdropper

Brian, with a little bit of planning and careful savings, I am fully confident that you can once again own a Peavey Bandit.  Dreams do come true.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

gordo

Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

madbean

Quote from: pickdropper on March 12, 2018, 06:42:20 PM

Brian, with a little bit of planning and careful savings, I am fully confident that you can once again own a Peavey Bandit.  Dreams do come true.

Forrest can attest to the fact that I did indeed design a pedal version of the Bandit. Both channels!

pickdropper

Quote from: madbean on March 12, 2018, 07:16:50 PM
Quote from: pickdropper on March 12, 2018, 06:42:20 PM

Forrest can attest to the fact that I did indeed design a pedal version of the Bandit. Both channels!

Yes, but does it scratch the same itch?
Function f(x)

Muadzin

Quote from: jimilee on March 12, 2018, 06:29:22 PM

Thank you Brian. Maybe I should clarify, I'm not struggling by any means, as a matter of fact, I'm doing fine. I just am tightening my belt so I can save more for a bigger down payment to buy my wife the house she wants and deserves.

Wow, it would seem that my comment has caused offense, if that's the cause, my apologies. But I really find it hard to make sense of things like revolving credit accounts, and to me those just sound like you or your wife bought stuff on credit. Which in my humble opinion is always a bad thing. Now I don't live in North America, all I know is that from what I hear using credit cards is pretty normal over there, but its less common over here. So to me it sounds like weird financial wizardry, which after the fun that was not over these past 10 years sounds like something that is best avoided. I don't fault you over your guitar buying, if you can afford it. If anything I'm the last person who could blame you over that. Over the years I've made many frivolous buys, sold stuff I regret, sold it for too little, bought stuff for too much. But thankfully I've always managed to stay in the black and am without debt. I'd rather agree to be a guinea pig for medical testing then to enter into debt. Hell, I've done that. But I'm weird like that.

Long story short, it just sounded weird. If you had said something like, yup, I've sold stuff, we're now debt free and saving money for a home, that would have made sense. Now it sounded like I sold stuff, did this, this and this kind of weird sounding credit thingy, we're now having something low interest credit thingy, and that to me, that still sounds weird. Again, I'm weird like that.

Anyway, no offense meant, just massively puzzled.

jimilee

Quote from: Muadzin on March 13, 2018, 06:15:53 AM
Quote from: jimilee on March 12, 2018, 06:29:22 PM

Wow, it would seem that my comment has caused offense, if that's the cause, my apologies. But I really find it hard to make sense of things like revolving credit accounts, and to me those just sound like you or your wife bought stuff on credit. Which in my humble opinion is always a bad thing. Now I don't live in North America, all I know is that from what I hear using credit cards is pretty normal over there, but its less common over here. So to me it sounds like weird financial wizardry, which after the fun that was not over these past 10 years sounds like something that is best avoided. I don't fault you over your guitar buying, if you can afford it. If anything I'm the last person who could blame you over that. Over the years I've made many frivolous buys, sold stuff I regret, sold it for too little, bought stuff for too much. But thankfully I've always managed to stay in the black and am without debt. I'd rather agree to be a guinea pig for medical testing then to enter into debt. Hell, I've done that. But I'm weird like that.

Long story short, it just sounded weird. If you had said something like, yup, I've sold stuff, we're now debt free and saving money for a home, that would have made sense. Now it sounded like I sold stuff, did this, this and this kind of weird sounding credit thingy, we're now having something low interest credit thingy, and that to me, that still sounds weird. Again, I'm weird like that.

Anyway, no offense meant, just massively puzzled.
Thank you sir. Credit and credit ratings are necessary to borrow the money to buy a house. If you manage your credit cards responsibly, you can increase your rating and still buy a few things you'd like to have. I'd rather use cash, but you can't build your credit that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alanp

When I applied for a loan to buy my first car, the car dealer told me that the loan company rang him to ask if I really existed, since I didn't exist in any credit databases at the time.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

somnif

Quote from: alanp on March 13, 2018, 10:27:06 PM
When I applied for a loan to buy my first car, the car dealer told me that the loan company rang him to ask if I really existed, since I didn't exist in any credit databases at the time.

I was the same way when I moved off for grad school. I'd been on my own for years, but ended up needing to put my Dad's name on my new apartment lease and cable account because I had never bothered with a credit card before. Bleh.

pickdropper

Indeed credit history does help.

When I was in my early 20's, I had fewer responsibilities, so it was easier to set aside cash for gear.  I'd save up the cash for what I needed and then I'd finance the purchase anyway..  I'd do the 6 months same as cash financing, pay them off in 3 with the money I had waiting so I built up my credit while paying zero interest.  It seemed to help get things started.
Function f(x)

jimilee

Quote from: pickdropper on March 14, 2018, 04:22:32 AM
Indeed credit history does help.

When I was in my early 20's, I had fewer responsibilities, so it was easier to set aside cash for gear.  I'd save up the cash for what I needed and then I'd finance the purchase anyway..  I'd do the 6 months same as cash financing, pay them off in 3 with the money I had waiting so I built up my credit while paying zero interest.  It seemed to help get things started.
Zero interest is the name of the game for sure. What little revolving credit I owe is all zero interest, and you get extra points for paying it off early.

TNblueshawk

My early financial wizardry with credit cards was when I got my first white collar job and I was broke as fuck. The only way I could buy 5 suits, no spare just 5 for the days of the week, was to ring up my credit card. Early on, when I was still broke as fuck, I had other shenanigans such as paying for my MBA on credit trying to pay it back feverishly as I figured investing in my future was a good thing in the long run. Other haphazard irresponsibility's was me paying for my wife's partial intestinal removal from Crohn's on credit as I was broke as shit, which is better than fuck by the way, but broke nonetheless.

Reinterpreted: Sometimes life hands you a shit sandwich and you eat it because you have to.
John

jimilee

Quote from: TNblueshawk on March 14, 2018, 11:33:10 AM
My early financial wizardry with credit cards was when I got my first white collar job and I was broke as fuck. The only way I could buy 5 suits, no spare just 5 for the days of the week, was to ring up my credit card. Early on, when I was still broke as fuck, I had other shenanigans such as paying for my MBA on credit trying to pay it back feverishly as I figured investing in my future was a good thing in the long run. Other haphazard irresponsibility's was me paying for my wife's partial intestinal removal from Crohn's on credit as I was broke as shit, which is better than fuck by the way, but broke nonetheless.

Reinterpreted: Sometimes life hands you a shit sandwich and you eat it because you have to.
True story, I had to file bankruptcy early 2000s maybe  mostly because of cards, and the fact that I worked retail when the twin towers thing happened.