News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

8,000 posts

Started by madbean, March 09, 2018, 05:22:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madbean

No other reason to make this other than to say this is my 8,000th post on the forum. Here is a picture of me looking confused and lost during a recording session in 2005. Why? Because I found it on my HD. Also the last time I had a ponytail (instead of no hair). Not really sure why it looks like I have only one arm.

Actually, funny story about this. The more I look at the pic I recognize the terror I was feeling. Thirty minutes before I left to drive to Dallas from Austin to do a week of recording my wife told me we were going to have a baby. We were not married at the time and it was unplanned. Obviously, everything worked out because we are happily married for 12 years now and have an incredible and talented 11 yo daughter. But, man was I scared then. During that week we recorded basic tracks for two albums and played a show. I didn't tell anyone what was going on with me. I was so exhausted by the show I drank 3 Red Bulls to get through it. Sadly, that was the last live performance we ever did.

It's funny to reflect on things. If, at 27yo, I had not been feeling lonely and desperate because I had not been able to find a girlfriend (even though I was playing a rock band!) I would have never posted a total joke of an personal ad online. I would have never met my wife, had my daughter and most likely madbeanpedals would not exist. Sometimes lifelong experiences can be reduced to a single moment in time. I don't mean that in a melancholy way...just that we all have these experiences but don't always recognize them.

Okay, enough internet today.

gordo

Damn.  Great photo.  Funny how stuff works out huh?  My fork in the road came when my then girlfriend came out on the road with me for about 4 months and asked me to marry her.  Hey wait...isn't it me that is supposed to...  I got off the road, got a "real" job and we lived mostly happily ever after (please...lets be real).  Dumped the guitar for 16 years (ouch) and fired up again doing band reunions and church stuff in 2002.  33rd anniversary coming up this year.  Would likely be dead by now if it wasn't for her.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

pickdropper

You look like you are sooo close to finding the answer to the question, whatever that might be.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

287m

all in almost matching color!  ;)
love that strat too!

youre not alone, my ex duo (33-35 yo, forgot the exact), until i write this now, never have girlfriend
too good with guitar and brotherhood, too shy for woman. he cant look at their eye. Although he have 6 younger sister, and always took good care for them.

playpunk

Quote from: madbean on March 09, 2018, 05:22:32 PM
No other reason to make this other than to say this is my 8,000th post on the forum. Here is a picture of me looking confused and lost during a recording session in 2005. Why? Because I found it on my HD. Also the last time I had a ponytail (instead of no hair). Not really sure why it looks like I have only one arm.

Actually, funny story about this. The more I look at the pic I recognize the terror I was feeling. Thirty minutes before I left to drive to Dallas from Austin to do a week of recording my wife told me we were going to have a baby. We were not married at the time and it was unplanned. Obviously, everything worked out because we are happily married for 12 years now and have an incredible and talented 11 yo daughter. But, man was I scared then. During that week we recording basic tracks for two albums and played a show. I didn't tell anyone what was going on with me. I was so exhausted by the show I drank 3 Red Bulls to get through it. Sadly, that was the last live performance we ever did.

It's funny to reflect on things. If, at 27yo, I had not been feeling lonely and desperate because I had not been able to find a girlfriend (even though I was playing a rock band!) I would have never posted a total joke of an personal ad online. I would have never met my wife, had my daughter and most likely madbeanpedals would not exist. Sometimes lifelong experiences can be reduced to a single moment in time. I don't mean that in a melancholy way...just that we all have these experiences but don't always recognize them.

Okay, enough internet today.

Well I'm sure thankful you posted that ad then! MBP has been a wonderful and encouraging resource to me, both in my pedal building life and my musical journey.
"my legend grows" - playpunk

Ralfg

I love a great origin story.  Thanks for sharing, and thank you for all you do here.  Happy for you, and the way everything turned out.
Dr. Von Fuzzbrauer @ Rocket Surgeon Effects Pedals
https://www.smallspacesband.com/

culturejam

Totally awesome!

If it makes you feel any better, I listen to the last Radiophonic album in my car fairly regularly. Most of the time I forget that I know one of the guys in the band. It's that good.

You guys should check it out: http://radiophonicmusic.com/
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

matmosphere

Quote from: culturejam on March 10, 2018, 01:20:19 PM
Totally awesome!

If it makes you feel any better, I listen to the last Radiophonic album in my car fairly regularly. Most of the time I forget that I know one of the guys in the band. It's that good.

You guys should check it out: http://radiophonicmusic.com/

I was going to ask what the album was.

Congrats on the success Bean! I remember how weird it was to find out my wife was pregnant that first time, fortunately there's no photo evidence.

TNblueshawk

Quote from: pickdropper on March 09, 2018, 06:50:34 PM
You look like you are sooo close to finding the answer to the question, whatever that might be.

Laughed out loud on that one  ;D

Bean, there are many times I've thought about one tiny miniscule decision, or really decisions, that if made differently would have changed my entire life from top to bottom. Odd to contemplate it sometimes.
John

mjg

Whenever I start thinking about what could have happened had little decisions gone a different way, it reminds me of the Tim Minchin song "If I didn't have you".

"Your love is one in a million
You couldn't buy it at any price
But of the 9 point 9 9 9 hundred thousand other loves
Statistically some of them would be equally nice"

;D

chromesphere

Congratulations on 8k Brian!  Thank you for the wise words.
I too am a believer in these cross roads.  I feel its incredibly important to know where / when these junctions happen, for better and for worse as they reaffirm your morals and values.  If we think back to these times and the vivid emotion and memory (again, for better or worse) we'll usually find they are strong experiences because they are interwined with our values.
Anyway, enough of that, here's to another 8k mate, your forum is like my online shelter for me from the toxic, faceless land that (can be) the internet.
Cheers
Paul
Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

brianq41369

I hope you didn't get rid of that creamy lookin' strat, great picture

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk