News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

sharkfin (lfo cracking)

Started by fritz, March 16, 2018, 12:27:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fritz

I recently build a sharkfin, which sounds great. unfortunately when set to sample / hold and even not engaged, I can  hear cracking noises in sync with the lfo :-[

any idea how I could remove the unwanted noise?

thanks in advance.

mjg

Did you use the top mounted jacks on your build?  I found it had more LFO noise with the top connections, wasn't as bad if I ran shielded wire from the jacks straight to the 3pdt switch, avoiding the board connections at the top. 

But from memory, there is always a little bit of noise from the LFO on that build.  It also says in the build doc that it's normal to hear the filter steps in s/h mode, when not playing. 

fritz

to hear the filter steps in s/h mode, when not playing is fine for me. i actually like that. but i hear them when sharkfin isn't engaged at all (true bypassed) ???

bsoncini

I wish I could help you with your problem.

What I can say is that is probably my favorite auto wah pedal and I use it a decent amount. I don't hear the lfo in auto wah mode. I do in sample & hold.

Have you tried easy things like plugging only that pedal into the power supply? Unplugging everything else on that circuit breaker? For instance I have an ikea led light that makes even the quietest pedals noisy even if it is turned off and the power supply is plugged in.

madbean

The LFO is disengaged when the switch is set to filter only so you should definitely not be hearing it then. And certainly not in bypass. Are you sure you soldered the 3pdt toggle in the right way?

Other things I would look at with noise in bypass - wiring and power supply. More details and a pic would help here.

fritz

thanks to all of you for you contributions. maybe i didn't use the right words, so let me try once again to discribe under what circumstances the unvanted clicking happens.

1. the effect is set to s/h mode and
2. the pedal as a whole is switched off. (the 3pdt foot switch not the toggle switch is soldered to act as a true bypass switch)

i hope i could make it clear now ::)

however, i unsoldered the led, because i thought this might be the reason (it wasn't) and while moving the pcb i noticed that the unwanted clicking decreased. to me it looks like the problem is caused by induction. maybe the lfo components and the jacks are to close to each other. i'll try to apply some sort of shielding and keep you informed.

fritz

short update:

meanwhile i replaced the wires from to jacks to the 3pdt switch by shielded onces and routed these wires the other way round inside the enclosure (away from ic5 & ic6). furthermore i created some shield around the input, as well as the output jack.

all in all the clicking has been reduced significantly, even though it's still audible, especially when i switch on overdrive pedals that follow the sharkfin pedal.

i'll keep it that way for the moment, since i'm planning to use a pedal switching system, that should fix the problem 100%.

by the way, i had the impression that ic5 (and maybe ic6) contribute to the unwanted clicking and yes, i didn't use  the top mounted jacks. i wired jacks directly to the 3pdt pedal on/off foot switch.

once again,thank you all for your great support.