Author Topic: Radio Room Sustainer  (Read 373 times)

Timko

• Electron Doctor
  • I'm walking a line, visiting houses in motion.
    • View Profile
Radio Room Sustainer
« on: March 11, 2019, 09:36:30 AM »
Here's one of the 3 builds I'm finishing up this month.  This one is for a friend who wanted a Green Russian Big Muff with a mid boost on a footswitch.  He gets this, I get a Jazzmaster parts guitar.  Thanks to Kevin @ Aion Electronics for letting me know whether this made sense.  It sounds killer.  It's even got the old Green Russian mojo of 2 1nF caps in series to make a 500pF (because finding 500pF is much more difficult.

A few additional notes.  The name and the design come from a Russian watch company called Vostok.  They make incredibly functional automatic mechanical watches that last forever and are incredibly cheap (in the $100 range).  This design is for a Radio Room clock, which designates the time at which no chatter needs to happen over the radio in order to listen for distress signals. 

I also bought myself a new sanding block called a Preppin' Weapon, invented by guys who do automotive painting. And it sands beautifully.  For anyone who's gotten into enclosure etching this is something well worth the money. 

And I got boxes!  Now I just need to work on a sticker for them.  For now, writing on them by hand will work.  I stuffed them with pink bubble wrap from Tayda because I have tons of that stuff :).

flanagan0718

• Electron Doctor
  • Mike
    • View Profile
    • Custohm Electronics
Re: Radio Room Sustainer
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2019, 05:13:51 PM »
Looks great man! The overall design of this is very cool!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cooder

• Electron Doctor
  • Stephan Nelson / New Zealand / Aotearoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2019, 05:34:17 PM »
Most excellent, killer looks and what a great inspiration from that Russian watch!
So the md boost switch takes the tone control out or how does it work?
BigNoise Amplification

Leevibe

• Electron Doctor
  • Lee
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2019, 06:54:22 PM »
The theme and graphic of this is really cool! I love that watch face and the cool lore that goes with it. Really nice job!

Timko

• Electron Doctor
  • I'm walking a line, visiting houses in motion.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2019, 10:08:00 PM »
So the mid boost switch takes the tone control out or how does it work?

The mid boost changes the capacitor values in the tone portion of the circuit.

Martan

• Solder Ninja
  • Marty
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2019, 10:45:18 AM »
Love it! Especially the "tool tip" about the sander. There should be more of that in build reports. Thank you for sharing.

Marty